1997 V6 Firebird change to LS1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 V6 Firebird change to LS1

So first of all I just want to say, I don't know anything about cars. I'm more of a computer person, but i've never had the chance to learn how to mess around with cars.

So now to my main point. Recently I blew out the 3.8lt V6 in my 1996 Firebird (I believe the mechanic said the headers were burnt). Anyways, I did love racing this car every once and a while, I knew it wasn't fast, but it could easily keep up with V6 Mustangs, Civics and other cars). Now since my engine is dead, I was thinking about going for a V8 since I heard the LS1 gets about the same mileage as my old engine and adds like 120+HP.

So my question is, what would I have to change in order to get an LS1 into my car? I was told by some friends I would be looking at having my electrical rewired, maybe the transmission changed as well, and getting the rear end changed. Could anyone explain more about this so when I go to a mechanic I dont get robbed XD)

Try the search option. There are many many threads on that subject.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

If you dont have much know how about cars I would not recommend you take on a task like that.

If you have the money then have a shop do the work.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

As I learned, buy an LS1. The time to do it now couldn't be better.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
          If you dont have much know how about cars I would not recommend you take on a task like that.

If you have the money then have a shop do the work.
          Thats the thing, I have the money, but I dont want to go to a shop and they give me some bullshit things to add money to the bill.

Comment

Here are a few comments.

1. LS1s didn't come out until 98 in f-bodies. In one place you say yours is a 97 and in another you say 96. There is nothing stopping you but suffice it to say you will be changing everything from the computer to the front springs to the radiator supports to the exhaust. You are going to spend many thousands of dollars on this and still have a V6 car that was converted to a V8. If someone pulls out in front of you and it gets totaled you will only get what a V6 car is worth not what you put in it. If you go to sell it you won't find very many people that would buy it. Basically it will be worthless to everyone but you.

2. You self admittedly don’t have the technical expertise to pull this massive task off. If you have the money go buy a V8 car and drive it tomorrow. Don’t let your feelings for the car overpower your judgment.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
              Here are a few comments.

1. LS1s didn't come out until 98 in f-bodies. In one place you say yours is a 97 and in another you say 96. There is nothing stopping you but suffice it to say you will be changing everything from the computer to the front springs to the radiator supports to the exhaust. You are going to spend many thousands of dollars on this and still have a V6 car that was converted to a V8. If someone pulls out in front of you and it gets totaled you will only get what a V6 car is worth not what you put in it. If you go to sell it you won't find very many people that would buy it. Basically it will be worthless to everyone but you.

2. You self admittedly don’t have the technical expertise to pull this massive task off. If you have the money go buy a V8 car and drive it tomorrow. Don’t let your feelings for the car overpower your judgment.
              Sorry about that, it is a 97. But i'm guessing you are right. I think i'll just replace the engine on this one with the same one it had before.

I think i'll just end up a few years and get me a G8GT once it drops under 20k for a used one xD

Comment

That is probalby the best idea. As stated befor, not many people are looking for a v6 car with a v8. Just save all the receipts and all the paperwork from the shop so you will get more for the car when you go to sell it or trade it in.

There are plenty of GTOs out there for under 20k. 2004s=LS1, 2005-06: LS2 (6.0L all aluminum 400hp). I think i will see a GTO in the driveway pretty soon here....

HIJACK

Anyone, want a 1997 Firebird Formula LT1 with a brand new optispark?
                -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Working...
                X