02 t/a parking brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 t/a parking brakes

have an issue w/ parking brakes. repair manual only says they are self adjusting. anyone have info on parking brake componet part numbers? the 'self adjusting' mechanizm on mine seems to be sticking. maybe rusted up a bit probably due to high waters/floods here in texas over the years. any tips on remedies or more info than the auto store repair manuals appreciated. thanks in advance.
    previous- '82 recaro. current-bone stock '02 t/a 6sp base model.

I's assuming that your lever is extremely upright? If it is, there are adjusting pin wheels inside of the rear rotors (you have to remove the pads, calipers, brackets, rotors) that you can turn to push the shoes outwards to decrease lever movement.

The adjustment setup is similiar to a shoe/drum setup.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Its rather easy. Remove the two bolts that hold the Caliper and bracket. No need to remove the caliper then Bracket.

Then remove your rotor and on the bottom there is that turn screw. Give it a couple turns and reinstall the rotor and turn it, You want just a little resistance.
      Make sure both sides are equal resistance and reinstall everything.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

ok. got it up on jacks yesterday. its definately binding. the rubber boots where the cables feed in are torn up. the slot to spin the star nut/washer doesnt have a cover. think my guess on water/rust is right. is visibally oxidized but doesnt look like its that bad or gonna fall apart. when i tried to spin the star back to fully release the pads it wouldnt move hardly. the rotor wont come off easily either. had to pound it with a rubber mallet to get it free. weird thing is the wheels themself spin freely but can hear the brake pad drag a little.. noise is what lead me to looking at it in the first place. the handle does go up a bit and the cable etc. could probably use some adusting but it doesnt seem that bad or to be the bigger problem. is there anything that can be done to clean and lube the adjusters? if so whats safe? or am i just better off replacing them? thanks for the input guys.
        previous- '82 recaro. current-bone stock '02 t/a 6sp base model.

Comment

Working...
        X