Help! Engine bogging out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Engine bogging out

Hello, any help would be appreciated. I just bought a 1987 Trans Am with a 305 FI. The engine is bogging out when driving at around 2000-3000 RPMS, but if it will drive WOT without a problem. It even died on the highway when I was at a steady pace. I pulled over, started it and it was fine again. I have replaced the plugs and wires, and it is still doing it. The air filter cover had water laying in the indentation, and the air filter is wet. Could a wet air filter be causing the problem? Maybe the MAF sensor?

First change the air filter for a clean dry one. why is there water in there anyway? you have to find the source of the water, was it a bad downpour? or is it there regularly

a little water on the filter wont affect the engine running, but you're right it could affect the MAF sensor. You can buy a can of mas air sensor cleaner (aerosol) and spray the inside of the sensor tube to make sure there is nothing covering the tiny platinum wires. This will clean and dry it. Dont touch the wires, the acids and oils on your fingers will muck it up, and its an expensive part.

When the engine is at WOT the computer uses a preset spray and ignition timing pattern- it doesn't rely on the MAF reading. So if its fine at WOT-this is a clue.

If there is water in the intake track, check to make sure its not in any of the electrical connectors around the MAF They should be water tight, but you never know.

Also check one or two of the vacuum lines coming off the intake, to see if any water has gotten sucked in there- that could affect the MAP sensor which is on your firewall and has a vacuum hose attached to it.

www.bananasaboutcars.com
    Red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. BFG g-force supersport tires. 77K miles.

http://bananasaboutcars.com/projectcars-camaro1.html

Comment

Any check engine light? A part throttle bog may be caused by so many things.......

* Defective EGR
      * Partially clogged injectors
      * Defective IAC
      * degraded ignition parts
      * incorrect ignition timing
      * worn engine internal parts

the list goes on and on. What else can you tell us about the condition and mileage of the car?

Comment

Working...
      X