Help. 95 Firebird Formula lt1 overheating after stored for winter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. 95 Firebird Formula lt1 overheating after stored for winter

Hello, was hoping sombody could help I just started my 95 Formula that has 46,000 miles on it after about 4 months of winter storage, and it overheated in about 10 minutes of idle. I live in Pittsburgh so it has bin a cold winter. Car had bin leaking very few drops of antifreeze as it sat all winter I noticed but was well within operation range when I tryed starting. Any ideas????

It could be a number of things. How hot did it get, and how long? The things I'd check first are:

1) Make sure your coolant level is full and the thermostat is not sticking. Make sure there is no air in the system by loosening the bleed screws to let any air out. Then retighten.

2) Do your cooling fans turn on? Does it overheat sitting at idle or slow speeds, or does it overheat driving 50+ too? If it only overheats at low speeds, your cooling fans may not be turning on.

3) If the coolant level looks ok, check your oil and coolant condition. Make sure there's no oil in the coolant and vice versa. Do you notice any smoke coming out of the exhaust?
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
    X