coil pack woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil pack woes

I have a 1996 firebird 3800 with 186000 original miles. Its got a new shortblock in it with about 30000 miles on IT. I have trouble every 6 weeks or so with coil packs burning up. It's not always the same pack though. A check-engine light continues to illuminate even when the car is running fine and the coil packs are not affected one way or the other by weather. They've gone bad when its cold out and when its hot out. I've changed plugs, wires, and coils multiple times. Any suggestions?

The coil pack, module, wires and plugs are all part of an integrated system. The coil packs in the 3.8 /3800 V6 are very sensitive to changes in resistance. If you have a misfire from a bad plug or wire, continuing to run the car will burn out the coil on that cylinder. Bad grounds, faulty module, faulty plug wire or spark plug all have the capacity to burn up a coil pack. Unfortunately, too many times a coil pack goes bad so the owner replaces the cail only to have it burn up again. Check all the plugs and wires with an ohm meter, have the module tested and verify all the grounds are 100%.

Also, the check engine light illuminates because there is a trouble code stored in memory. That might be an indication of what may be wrong, get the code read and see what it says.

Comment

Working...
    X