tranny trouble?? Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny trouble?? Help

My car runs fine til I start up a hill then it slows away down the engine revs up and it seems to not wanna change gear, anyone have a clue whats causing it? Its a 2000 Firebird I jus had another engine put in not long ago

Have you checked the fluid level? If its low, it could have trouble shifting, especially up hills. If its low check for leaks, and top it up. Remember to check when its warm and idling.

Does the car have a kickdown cable? I'm not sure about anything newer than 1992. If it does-that might be binding somewhere- make sure it moves freely with the throttle valve, it tells the tranny when to downshift.
    Red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. BFG g-force supersport tires. 77K miles.

http://bananasaboutcars.com/projectcars-camaro1.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bananasaboutcars

Does the car have a kickdown cable? I'm not sure about anything newer than 1992. If it does-that might be binding somewhere- make sure it moves freely with the throttle valve, it tells the tranny when to downshift.
      a 2000 f-body has an electronically controlled 4L60E 4 speed automatic, there is no TV cable like in 3rd gen. f-bodies. Everything is controlled by the ECM.

Comment

When mine was starting to let go, under load, it would basically lose the current gear and the engine would rev up.

Do your problems only occur under load? As mentioned above, before anything, check the fluid level first.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Yeah it does that under load

sounds like whats happening to mine, my buddy told me pull out the dipstick if it smelled burt the tranny was goin out?? anyone else heard of this?

Comment

Originally posted by rifsm1
            sounds like whats happening to mine, my buddy told me pull out the dipstick if it smelled burt the tranny was goin out?? anyone else heard of this?
            yep. The fuild should be a nice transparent red in color. When it turns brown/black is it an indication of overheating and contamination..... aka most likely the clutches/bands would be toast. Remember that as componants wear, the particals end up in the fluid. You could also get a fluid sample and ship it off for analysis. That analysis will tell you what is suspended in the fluid and would be a good indication of the tranny health.

Comment

hi

The fluid is red but the stick smells burnt, i can get a used tranny for 400 that has 62,000 miles on it near same as the motor I put in it an have it put in or have the one in it rebuilt. What would you guys do?

Comment

Originally posted by rifsm1
                The fluid is red but the stick smells burnt, i can get a used tranny for 400 that has 62,000 miles on it near same as the motor I put in it an have it put in or have the one in it rebuilt. What would you guys do?
                I dunno...... I've never been a fan of used automatics unless you happen to get a really low mileage (15-20K tops). 400 is cheap, 65000 could be good or bad. I think I would tend to have the one in there redone and put back in top notch shape. That way you know exactly what you have.

Comment

I agree with Joe. Used transmissions always scare me.

Although a different car, a co-worker's 2001 Jetta had a tranny that let go. Her car was under an aftermarket warranty so their "agreement" was to put a similar miles used tranny as a replacement. They did, and it lasted for a couple thousand, then went out.
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

hi again

Jus got back from taking my dad a ride in it he said the tranny worked ok yet on a hill the engine revved and it lost power ont he way up. If not the tranny what else would it be?

Comment

I think that before you do anything else, find a transmission shop with a proper scanner like a Snap-on. They will be able to read a whole host of things. They can rule out the trans for sure.

Comment

thanx

I will do that

Comment

Took it to the garage

They checked it out and it turns out to be the catalytic converter which luckily GM has a 10 year warranty on those or it woulda cost me $550 so they ordered it and hopefully it runs right after. Thanks for all your help guys you are very appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
                          X