Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhard Bar Installation

Hey guys,

I'm going home for spring break and I decided to start getting my car ready for the spring. I was planning on installing my new panhard bar (UMI on-car adjustable), and was wondering if you had any tips. I don't think I should have a problem, I'm just a little unsure of how to properly adjust it so that everything is completely centered. I would really appreciate any help given. Thanks!

Sean
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Just use a plumb bob and make sure it's the same distance on both sides. It's a very easy install, you should have no problems.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks for the response Raro! Should I pretty much just adjust it to the factory length panhard and then just double check that the rear end is centered when its in?
      Mods:
      "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
      Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Crane 1.5rrs
      Comp high tech pushrods
      SLP Loudmouth II
      SLP Cold air intake
      UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

I used the eyeball, tape measure and a small yardstick method.
        2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

If its "double" adjustable, simply match the length of the stock bar. Then measure from a fixed point on the body to the inside of the wheel, on both sides. Adjust the bar until the measurements are the same on both sides.

If its "single" adjustable, set to the correct length before you install it, since you have to remove one end to adjust it after its installed. Measure it before you take the old one off, to see if the body is centered or not. If the body is centered already, match the stocker. If body needs to move to the passenger side, make it 1/2 of the difference longer, or to move the body to the driver's side, make it 1/2 of the difference shorter. Remeasure after its installed to make sure it centered correctly.

When taking the measurements, the car has to be sitting at stock ride height.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I used the area right by the SB endlink mounting point and the wheel. Make sure its even on both side and call it a day. Eyeballing it works too but I like perfection. lol
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Thank you very much for the help guys. I'm probably going to be working on it tomorrow, so i'll let you know how everything goes. Thanks again!
              Mods:
              "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
              Pro 5.0 Shifter
              Crane 1.5rrs
              Comp high tech pushrods
              SLP Loudmouth II
              SLP Cold air intake
              UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

I got the panhard installed today, wasn't bad. I didn't really have to change the length from what it was. Thanks for the help everyone! I feel like the panhard bar has helped a tiny bit, but I definitly have a lot more work to do. Launching my car seems nearly impossible to get right...I either spin or just bog the engine down. What do you think the next step is to hooking a little better? I eventually want to get bigger rims/tires (I have the stock rims with bridgestone potenza tires), but unfortunatly, thats a little out of my price range at this point. Any suggestions?
                Mods:
                "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                Pro 5.0 Shifter
                Crane 1.5rrs
                Comp high tech pushrods
                SLP Loudmouth II
                SLP Cold air intake
                UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

Originally posted by SeanC
                  I got the panhard installed today, wasn't bad. I didn't really have to change the length from what it was. Thanks for the help everyone! I feel like the panhard bar has helped a tiny bit, but I definitly have a lot more work to do. Launching my car seems nearly impossible to get right...I either spin or just bog the engine down. What do you think the next step is to hooking a little better? I eventually want to get bigger rims/tires (I have the stock rims with bridgestone potenza tires), but unfortunatly, thats a little out of my price range at this point. Any suggestions?
                  Panhard is to help with cornering. I don't think it's going to help with launching but I could be wrong.

If you want better traction, maybe try some new lower control arms and stickier tires.

Once you start hooking, you might want to upgrade your torque arm. I tore mine in half.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Relocation brackets and some control arms. That will help. Then get some stick tires. On street tires and an M6 its a pain in the but to hook. I finally got my car Dailed in on the launches and was able to pull my 13.33 on a stock Motor just suspension. That was on some Mickey Thomsons. They are $$ but they work wonders. That was still with a 2.1 60foot so It has a 13.1-13.2 in her no problem.

Im pushing for 12's with at most, a Tune and nothing else done to the engine.

Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I'll definitely be getting LCAs and relocation brackets next. I got an adjustable panhard because I wasn't sure if I was eventually going to lower my car, but is it worth getting the single adjustable LCAs? I can't see why I would ever have to recenter the tire in the wheel well?
                      Mods:
                      "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                      Pro 5.0 Shifter
                      Crane 1.5rrs
                      Comp high tech pushrods
                      SLP Loudmouth II
                      SLP Cold air intake
                      UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

Originally posted by SeanC
                        Thanks for the help guys. I'll definitely be getting LCAs and relocation brackets next. I got an adjustable panhard because I wasn't sure if I was eventually going to lower my car, but is it worth getting the single adjustable LCAs? I can't see why I would ever have to recenter the tire in the wheel well?
                        I got the single sided Sphyrical Rod end type BC Its stronger than the bushing but is not transfer so much road noise. Im sure Double Poly solid ends will be fine. With the adjustable kind you can adjust your Thrust angle just in case it might be off. I know mine was by just a little.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                        X