ABS ECU - bad and needs replaced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS ECU - bad and needs replaced

I have three lights lit on my dash - ABS inop, brake, ASR off.

It was checked while I was having it serviced, and was told the scanner said the ABS ECU was bad. Now GM says $1,000 for the part (500 thru a GM discount parts vendor) plus install. Local brake shop says they will replace the module for $97 - IF I find one at a salvage yard. OReilly and Autozone don't carry.

Suggestions?????

Oh, and dumb question of the day -- since I have ASR, is that "traction control"? I know, it's probably a dumb question, like "who's buried in Grant's Tomb?!!
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
    I have three lights lit on my dash - ABS inop, brake, ASR off.

It was checked while I was having it serviced, and was told the scanner said the ABS ECU was bad. Now GM says $1,000 for the part (500 thru a GM discount parts vendor) plus install. Local brake shop says they will replace the module for $97 - IF I find one at a salvage yard. OReilly and Autozone don't carry.

Suggestions?????

Oh, and dumb question of the day -- since I have ASR, is that "traction control"? I know, it's probably a dumb question, like "who's buried in Grant's Tomb?!!
    ASR=Anti Slip Regulator

I have a ABS inop light on also. Had a friend scan it and told me I have a wheel speed sensor out on my drivers front.

Comment

Suggestions?????

!
      yep.

For the part: http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

Then pay the $97 for the install. You could do it yourself though, the module is on the inside of the firewall.

yep.

Comment

Joe-

Thanks for the web link. In replacing the ECU, will the brakes have to be re-bled? It would seem that if it's just the electronics, they will not, but have been told they will.

Thanks.
        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

You do not have to bleed the brakes. You may need a Tech-2 to "home" the ABS motors. You only bleed the brakes when the hydraulic system has been opened.

How reliable was the diagnosis that its the EBCM (electronic braking control module)? If something causes the "BRAKE" light to come on, it will deactivate the ABS and ASR systems, because it doesn't want them to function with a possibly faulty brake hydraulic system. The "BRAKE" light comes on to tell you that there is unequal pressure between the front and rear braking systems. Unequal pressure can be cause by air in the lines (due to low fluid in the reservoir), leaking line(s), leakage between the front and rear pistons in the master cylinder. If you have any of those problems, changing the EBCM will not fix it. And you will have to bleed the brakes.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I had the rotors and pads replaced last weekend. (rotors were all under tolerance and the pads were shot.) The brake shop manager used a code scanner to check the computer port, and showed me the result which said it was the ABS ECU. He even said he had never seen this on an F-body before, and he has been doing brakes for 15 + years. ( He wasn't a kid) He said usually when the lights come on like that, it is the wheel speed sensors or parhaps the ABS sensors, so given what you have commented on I feel confident that it is the ECU module. My impression in looking at the module under the hood was that it would not require bleeding but wanted to be sure before I tackle replacing it. Thanks for the input, I will post after the module is replaced--hopefully I'll be

Comment

But a faulty wheel sensor does not turn on the "BRAKE" light. That is only connected to the differential pressure switch on the side of the ABS motor block, where the lines from the master cylinder attach.

Which "module" are you actually talking about/replacing. EBCM is not under the hood, its under the dash. Actually, since you have traction control, its EBTCM.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Received the new ABS ECU module yesterday, getting it installed tomorrow. It is under the hood, right side of engine near fan belt, direct connected via tubing to the brake system. I test connected the new unit to teh electrical connector harness. Turned the engine on-dash lights (ABS inop, Brake, and ASR off) went out so expect the problem will be solved.

A KUDO to TA Creations USA

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

for super affordable price ($100 for a GM list $1,000 module), reasonable shipping cost, and super fast shipping. If you need parts, contact them. Thanks to Joe for recommending them.

Comment

well, install took about 45 minutes, only cost me $56 plus the $100 for the module, and the lights went out. HORRAH!!!!

Next I replace teh convertible top.

Comment

well, install took about 45 minutes, only cost me $56 plus the $100 for the module, and the lights went out. HORRAH!!!!

Next I replace teh convertible top.
                    Sweet! Now you have a feeling of accomplishment because you did it yourself. Tops are a PITA if you haven't figured it out yet.

Comment

I have already done a top replacement on my son's Sebring convertible, and though it was a PITA (lived in an apartment at the time and had no covered workspace) they really are pretty straight forward if you pay attention to what you're doing--and the top I bought comes with a step by step DVD so I'll watch it first and then tackle the top in my garage so I can pace myself a little more. And $485 for the top complete with rear defroster glass is a whole lot better than $1600 to $2000 installed by an upholstery shop (those were the estimates).

Comment

if you've done them before, this is really no different. It really helps to have a couple of extra hands.

Comment

Working...
                        X