Has anyone fixed a bent rim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone fixed a bent rim?

I have the stock WS6 17 inch chrome 5 stars on the car. I hit a mean pothole and bent the front drivers side rim. I looked at the back side of it, and it has a bump on the outer ring. I was told I could take a piece of wood and try to pound it back down. Has anyone tried this?

I did on a wheel about 15 years ago. It's pretty easy to bend the wheel back but the metal cracked and it slowly leaked air out of the crack. I took a center punch and closed the crack somewhat but it always leaked very slowly. Also the tires always had a slight low spot where the dent was. The tire never seated back like it did making the tire have a slight flat spot. After the third rim got bent I went and bought a new set of rims.

There used to be a place in Atlanta that fixed rims. I can't remember the place. Maybe there is one around you. Oh it was Bart Wheels. They used to fix rims. They could also widen steel rims. I knew several people that had stock rallye wheels widened to keep the stock look but get wider wheels.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Let a pro fix it, or try and find a good used replacement. Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA has a good reputation for repairs to alloy wheels. They have a website.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Let a pro fix it, or try and find a good used replacement. Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA has a good reputation for repairs to alloy wheels. They have a website.
        Id like to, but I think Im gona start looking for some replacments. The clear is coming off and a couple of them have curb rash. Thanks for the ideas.

Anyone on here have a nice set of wheels? I wana get some vett wana be rims or somthing along them lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
          After the third rim got bent I went and bought a new set of rims.

Wow. The roads in Atlanta must be worse than the ones here in Jersey/PA. (Which says alot) I dont know anybody that has bent 3 rims.
          No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
            Wow. The roads in Atlanta must be worse than the ones here in Jersey/PA. (Which says alot) I dont know anybody that has bent 3 rims.
            There bad in illinois here. Bout as crooked as our state goverment-lol ahahahah

Comment

I personally like these American Racing wheels... I think they look better than the 'new' Cragar S/S (the new S/S are also supposedly made in China Dunno about the AR wheels)

I know Radir wheels are made in the USA (they look badass too) but they don't come in anything bigger than 15s. Then again, they're aimed at the vintage market.

Comment

Working...
              X