Ignition lock cylinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition lock cylinder

When i started the ta today the key stayed in the start position. When i tried to turn it back it only moved a little, not even back to the run position. In other words, stuck. I had to mess with it for about an hour before it would turn back. I ended up pulling the ignition fuse after the first ten minutes to shut the engine off. Has anybody else had this problem?
    1994 T/A A4 No mods........yet

Could be that the ignition switch is bound up (easy to do, if it gets fried). It is on the lower part of the steering column. You can disconnect the rod from it and see if the key turns freely. That will help guide you in the direction of the problem.

Some switch help: http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

It ended up being a couple a broken pieces in the column. Went to a salvage yard and found one in a 93 T/A with only 42xxx miles on it for $70.00! The new column seemed to tighten the steering up a little as well!

It also has the 150mph cluster I want. They said $50.00 for it, heck of a deal!
      1994 T/A A4 No mods........yet

Comment

Originally posted by 94_T/A
        It ended up being a couple a broken pieces in the column. Went to a salvage yard and found one in a 93 T/A with only 42xxx miles on it for $70.00! The new column seemed to tighten the steering up a little as well!

It also has the 150mph cluster I want. They said $50.00 for it, heck of a deal!
        Sometimes you can talk them down on parts... sometimes not. Regardless, junkyard runs are fun and I always bring a camera and take pics of rare/odd/unique/cars that are not supposed to be there (there's a solid roller 73 Chevelle in the one near my house ).

I figure if I can't save them, I might as well 'save' them on 'digital film'.

Comment

Working...
        X