1988 Camaro Power Window Motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Camaro Power Window Motor

I've seen the thread on the 4th Gen Power Window motor replacement, but are 3rd Gens the same? I lowered my passenger window about 1/3 down, and now it won't go up nor down. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
    2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Essentially the same. The pain comes from getting the little nuts on the little bolts that hold the motor in the door! A couple careful hours and you should be able to replace it yourself without a problem. I replaced window motors several times on the 1992 camaro I owned (same body as yours), and at least twice on my 2000 ragtop. motors run about 50-60 bucks each. Just take your time and you'll do fine. If you run into problems just ask here. Anyone who has owned a camaro has had to replace the window motors more than once!!
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I will save the job for the weekend and will definitely take my time. Thanks again!
      2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

When I did mine I kept losing the little nuts, I used a piece of sticky tape wrapped around my finger (sticky side out) and stuck the little nut to it. I then held it against the back of the window motor and put the screw in from the front (through the drilled out holes). It kept me from losing the little nuts, and my mind. A little tape around the screwdriver tip held the little screw in place while I started it.

I didnt use a clamp to stop the window from moving before removing the motor. Instead I drilled a hole through both of the "scissors" of the window regulator from the inside of the door and stuck a temporary bolt through that hole in all three pieces to hold the spring tension and window in place. It worked fine.

It didnt take long to do, maybe an hour and a half workin slow.

And remember on 3rd gens a few of the little torx bolts holding the door handle/lock plate to the door are decorative only--molded into the plastic. I forget that everytime.
        Red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. BFG g-force supersport tires. 77K miles.

http://bananasaboutcars.com/projectcars-camaro1.html

Comment

DOH! never thot of using a piece of tape on my finger! Man, that would have made it easier.

"And remember on 3rd gens a few of the little torx bolts holding the door handle/lock plate to the door are decorative only--molded into the plastic. I forget that everytime."

Good point, forgot to mention that.
          2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Wish me luck this weekend!

Comment

Working...
            X