Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint question

Hey guys,

Ever since I got my car, I have noticed that my hood becomes extremely dull and kind of oxidized looking after not having a new coat of wax applied for a while. The first time I did wax the car, the waxing pad was completely black when I was finished. There is noticeable signs of front end damage being fixed on my car (kind of like little "circles" showing through the paint on the right side fender)and i'm guessing that they didn't clear coat my hood when it was repainted. Is there absolutely anything I can do other than re-painting it? It looks really good when freshly waxed, but fades within a few weeks. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Originally posted by SeanC
    Hey guys,

Ever since I got my car, I have noticed that my hood becomes extremely dull and kind of oxidized looking after not having a new coat of wax applied for a while. The first time I did wax the car, the waxing pad was completely black when I was finished. There is noticeable signs of front end damage being fixed on my car (kind of like little "circles" showing through the paint on the right side fender)and i'm guessing that they didn't clear coat my hood when it was repainted. Is there absolutely anything I can do other than re-painting it? It looks really good when freshly waxed, but fades within a few weeks. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!
    If the car didn't have a clear coat on it, there would be basically no shine. Base coat is dull and only shines when it is first applied. After drying, it is completely flat. Now, your hood may have been either repainted with a single stage or may just be oxidized. When paint is severely damaged, it can never return to its original shine for extended periods of time. It can look good for short periods but not for the long haul. If you buff it out and keep polish on it, you will hardly notice the difference. But if you want it to look good for the long haul and not have to continually polish it, you will have to have it repainted.

I hope that helped.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

It definitely helped. Thank you very much for your response! I guess i'll just have to wax it every week until I can gather enough money up to get it painted . Is there any particular wax that would help in keeping the shine?
      Mods:
      "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
      Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Crane 1.5rrs
      Comp high tech pushrods
      SLP Loudmouth II
      SLP Cold air intake
      UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

It definitely helped. Thank you very much for your response! I guess i'll just have to wax it every week until I can gather enough money up to get it painted . Is there any particular wax that would help in keeping the shine?
        ill say it now, search Zanio
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I figured I would get that response haha. I'll definitely give them a try. Thanks!
          Mods:
          "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
          Pro 5.0 Shifter
          Crane 1.5rrs
          Comp high tech pushrods
          SLP Loudmouth II
          SLP Cold air intake
          UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

paint shine

I figured I would get that response haha. I'll definitely give them a try. Thanks!
            I heard a detailer tell me he has used baby oil on faded paint to get its shine back. I never tried it, and dont know how it would be w/ dirt sticking to it. Never know, you could try a small spot and see.

Comment

Norman Nailed it. It sounds like it was a single stage paint. Probably laquer or enamel. Typically urethane single stage paints won't fade that quickly after a coat of wax is applied.
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
              <Motor out

Comment

Working...
              X