More Trans problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Trans problems

Well I finally got the clutch etc. replaced and my trans was still making noise, in fact it was worse that before.

I finally gave in and took it to a specialty trans shop. The guy there thinks it is the input shaft bearing going out. It is making a rattling noise similar to when the TO bearing is going out but once you hit 5th gear the noise goes completely away. He also says the trans oil is very dark and there is some metal in the fluid as well.

They are going to drop the trans and evaluate it.

I'm hoping it's not going to hurt my wallet too much...
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

OUCH!!!!

The trans shop called back.

The cluster had started to come apart and that was what was making the noise and damaged the input shaft.
    So, both of those need to be replaced along with the burned syncros and of course the bearings.

$2100 for everything with a 3 year 36K warranty.

Is that reasonable?
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Ouch. For a trans shop that is average. If you want to take it out and ship it somewhere you can get it a lot cheaper. There is a place in Atlanta that will rebuild one for about $600. It's called Southern Gear in Smyrna. You can replace the input shaft and I think the synchros for 1-3. For #4 you would need a press to take the gear off. I can't remember.

http://www.southerngearco.com/

Here is another place to check out
      http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/

More parts
      http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...rhaul_kit.html

and more parts
      http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/in...?cPath=107_103
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks for the websites Jeff.

I have a feeling that the $600 rebuild may not apply to my trans.
        The shop here is saying the cluster gear needs to be replaced and according to one of the sites you listed there are 2 options for that part:

LT1386-410-007 Cluster Gear Kit, Aftermarket Unit 8-34-26-19 $1226.51
        ALT1386-410-008 Cluster Gear Kit, Close Ratio 36-33-28-17 $812.69

That doesn't include other parts.

I don't possess the knowledge to rebuild the trans myself anyway so it looks like I don't have many options.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
          Thanks for the websites Jeff.

I have a feeling that the $600 rebuild may not apply to my trans.
          The shop here is saying the cluster gear needs to be replaced and according to one of the sites you listed there are 2 options for that part:

LT1386-410-007 Cluster Gear Kit, Aftermarket Unit 8-34-26-19 $1226.51
          ALT1386-410-008 Cluster Gear Kit, Close Ratio 36-33-28-17 $812.69

That doesn't include other parts.

I don't possess the knowledge to rebuild the trans myself anyway so it looks like I don't have many options.
          OMG! OK that is a good price then.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

While you are at it you might want to think about some upgrades like the steel shift fork.

Comment

Working...
            X