Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lt1 starts and dies right away, runs ok after it starts

95 formula again ...daily driver now

it starts and dies right away, takes a few tries to start , sometimes accelerator helps, and after it starts it runs perfect doesnt miss at all

I think bad maf, or bad wiring to maf and when i unplug it it starts fine . Any ideas, can i clean the maf? i did clean it like a couple of years ago wit a cotton pad with carburettor cleaner on it , did the same now , but still the same , starts and dies if its connected .
    sometimes starts and runs really bad, misfires , then aftes a few seconds all of a sudden runs smooth

Also on the maf screen there was like a black foam like from a disintegrating foam pad, i think it comes from inside the air pump. has a k&n filter
    Car runs strong , doesnt miss , good mpg. no check engine light , no smoke
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

tap on the maf, if the car stumbles its usually a bad maf. i know this method works on the third gen MAF cars but its worth a shot
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

IAC (Idle Air Control valve)

Responsile for metering additional air into the TB when the blades are close to control idle speed and quality. If sticks or is carbon fouled, you will get some stalling or erratic idle speeds.

Comment

i took the throttle body apart and cleaned everything with carburettor cleaner , idle valve , blades , took a while , all shiny now. car still does the same. I ve done the tb coolant bypass mod too while i was at it .

tapped on the maf, no differnece , moved the wiring to it, nothing, when i disconnect it, the engine dies. starts up fine with it disconnected, just check engine light and fans on .
        iac seemed ok .
        I ll try to find a maf and swap them , see what happens. Is the ls1 maf compatible? i have a spare stock ls1 maf and a ls1 zo6 granatelli maf, but no lt1 maf
        93 t/a A4 3.23s
        95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
        93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

Nope, the LS1 maf is different. Wiring and all.
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
          <Motor out

Comment

Stop using carburetor cleaner. Way too harsh for cleaning the MAF sensor, and not even good for the throttle body. There is an "anti-coking" coating on the throttle blades that will be removed by carburetor cleaner. They make cleaners specifically for the MAF and specifically for throttle bodies. Use only the correct cleaners.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

??

Could be a fuel pump getting weak. Id have someone check it w/ a gauge. Or even a bad filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Trans Am
                . starts up fine with it disconnected, just check engine light and fans on .
                iac seemed ok .
                That is because disconnecting the MAF forces the system to run in speed density mode, eliminating the MAF tables. The airflow is calculated via stored tables in the ECM rather than actual measuring by the MAF.

Comment

You ruled out the MAF being a problem by disonnecting it, and still having the problem. However, I just want to mention for records sake, LT1 and LS1 MAFs are the same. Not sure if they looked identical from the start, but AC Delco now only has one MAF for LT1 and LS1 cars - I've been running it for a few years now and they even look identical.
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                    You ruled out the MAF being a problem by disonnecting it, and still having the problem. However, I just want to mention for records sake, LT1 and LS1 MAFs are the same. Not sure if they looked identical from the start, but AC Delco now only has one MAF for LT1 and LS1 cars - I've been running it for a few years now and they even look identical.
                    i think its a bad maf if it starts ok with it disconnected. are you running an ls1 maf? can you please look at the part number on it, i think theres a sticker visible when you open the hood. if its ok then i ll use the spare ls1 maf

I would use special cleanes for maf and throttle body , but its a hassle to find them

it runs ok speed density , i like that about these cars, can run ok without the maf , like the 93 s . the audi , when the maf went , it took out abs, traction control , stability control , very bad mpg, bad power loss
                    93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Oh sorry, I misread your post. You are right - the MAF disconnected and it running fine may mean the MAF is the problem. I'm not sure about the GM p/n, but the Delco # is 213-353 and the vehicle listing is for 1994-2002 Camaro/Firebird V8. I can look up my part number at home when I get off work, but a ls1tech post listed it as 25179711 - I'm not sure how accurate that is.
                      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

ok, i installed the ls1 maf, started ok , have to see tomorrow if its all ok .
                        thanks

then time to sort out the abs....it has traction control too , pretty rare i think on lt1 s no?
                        93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

ok, its not the maf
                          93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Have you tried to check the fuel pressure? Or scan it when it dies?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                              Have you tried to check the fuel pressure? Or scan it when it dies?
                              i havent tested that yet, and i dont have a scanner...it starts easier if i hold the accelerator down when it starts,if it revs up right away its ok, if not dies right away. i dont know, bad IAC valve, bad ICM, bad opti . It misses and backfires when it doesnt run ok , just for a little while then runs perfect , and from there on all ok , idle good , strong , no smoke
                              93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Working...
                              X