"02 WS6 w/rear end growling.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "02 WS6 w/rear end growling.

I am currently borrowing a friends '02 WS6. It has 120,000 miles on the clock. When I picked it up the owner was complaining about really bad rear axle hop. He thought the tires were dead but I think his Bilsteins are gone. But the real problem is that he now has a very pronounced growling coming from the rear end that wasn't there before. He took it to his favorite local service station mechanic and they told him that the rear end gears were going out. And that "they go out all the time on these cars". Of course they diagnosed this without doing anything other than seeing if it had enough lub. Do the ring and pinion fail all the time on F-bodies? If he does need a new set of gears, is there something better than stock? Or do you think it could be something beside the R&P. All opinions welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

I've never had an issue with the gears, it's always been the bearings, mostly the pinion bearings. I'd pop the cover off and visibly look for any damage to the gears themselves. I'm pretty sure you'll see that they are fine. If they are, it's probably going to be the bearings, and then you're talking about a big job that you need to find somebody that knows what the heck they are doing to fix it. He could always 12 bolt/9 inch it if he plans on keeping it or racing it, or get a junkyard rearend.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

carrier baerings or pinion. Mine went out at about 60k miles

The ring and pinion dont usually go out. and The wheel hoop can be the shocks. Is the wheel hoop only under heavy acceleration?
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
        carrier baerings or pinion. Mine went out at about 60k miles

The ring and pinion dont usually go out. and The wheel hoop can be the shocks. Is the wheel hoop only under heavy acceleration?
        Yup. When he is hammering the throttle in a straight line. After driving the car for a while, I am pretty sure the wheel hop is because of the shocks. I have never been able to get 120k out of stock shocks, even if they are Bilsteins.

I guess we will have to open up the rear end and have a look.

Comment

When you put fluid back in make sure you put in the limited slip defferential additive. It really makes the gears quieter. With out the addative most people complain that the gears make too much noise.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Working...
          X