Ram Air?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Air?

Could I get a vote of sorts on the best intake for a simple street car? Its not a race car, and I just bought it as my first v8. It is a 1994 Trans am w/o Ram air.

I was wondering if a simple cold air arm would be sufficient?

Or should I save up for a ram air system?

Regardless of the beauty of the ram hood, which is "better" as far as performance goes? Brand/item suggestions? Places to get them?

Just get a Cold air from K&N or something like that and a 1LE elbow and you should be good.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

This has been debated, and the cold air system is sufficient. Ram air has been proven to work at higher speeds (Fred can elaborate on this), but the different between cold air and ram air on a stock/near stock motor won't make a difference for the huge price of the hood/ram air kit.

The best 3 makers of the cold air kits are: SLP, K&N, Moroso.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

The only problem with the ram air setups for the LT1 is the cost. I truely believe its going to provide better flow and colder air, particularly the way I have it set up. But the gains under normal operating conditions are probably not enough to justify the high cost.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks guys, got her today, drives and sounds GREAT! Unfortunately when I accelerate I get bumping between shifts (automatic). Friend told me it was 'just the trans mount', and not to worry..

I will look around for a decent intake setup, craigslist or just summit/jegs.

Still can't believe that Injuneer got his bird done a half mile from my house!

Wonder what that tower brace will cost, or whatever its called that prevents frame twisting slightly.

Comment

Second Street Speed has built some awesome 1,000+ HP LT1's. Its also where N2ODave took his SB2.2 headed, normally aspirated LT1 for completion and setup, making over 750HP on straight motor.

The reason I picked the shop was because they built a killer 30th SS convertible for a friend of mine....

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Trans Mount known to go out, No biggy. Get a poly bushing from energy and call it a day. Yeah just get a cold air and you should be fine.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

bought the mount, 25$ from advanced autoparts. bought an old kn filter from a friend for like 5$, he converted to ram a little while ago and had his sittin around.

Unfortunately the window motor is shot on the driver side, I suspect. And it has been raining all day so I cant fix her up yet.

Thanks for everything so far.

Comment

You going to fab up a Cold air ?
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

think he got the filter to just replace the the stock paper one
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                      think he got the filter to just replace the the stock paper one
                      Correct.

Just to hold me over until I pay off the car and insurance and everything in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                        The only problem with the ram air setups for the LT1 is the cost. I truely believe its going to provide better flow and colder air, particularly the way I have it set up. But the gains under normal operating conditions are probably not enough to justify the high cost.

Yeah im lookin for ram air box and accessorys there high dollar.
                        1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

Look around on the various forums and ebay. I found my ram air box on another forum relatively cheap and my used ram air hood on this one here. Well worth the money for looks and sound.
                          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                          X