MY first vehicle.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY first vehicle.....

I was just wondering if you guys think I should get a manual or automatic for my first vehiclei can drive either pretty good (my parents trust me to drive more than my sisters who have both been driving for about 4 years now on their own) i just thought id ask becuas ei gewt my license soon and i also was wondering what i should get for my first vehicle... my price range is under $3,000
    1986- honda accord lx 2.0 liter fuel injection 5-speed manual 211,000 miles-sold-
    1986- honda accord dx 2.0 liter carb. 4-speed automatic 200,000 miles-sold-
    1992-mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L DOHC 5 speed manual 16" ar rims -blew up- then i sold it- worse mistake ever (buying it)
    1991 hyundai excel-HA! sold
    1995 dodge neon 1.6 liter,5spd, cold air intake, short throw shift, buger bushings, stiffer motor mounts, strut towers/ anti sway, lowering kit, a couple other perf. mods , sleeper

im open for any suggestions
    1986- honda accord lx 2.0 liter fuel injection 5-speed manual 211,000 miles-sold-
    1992-mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L DOHC 5 speed manual 16" ar rims -blew up- then i sold it- worse mistake ever (buying it)
    1995 dodge neon 1.6 liter,5spd, cold air intake, short throw shift, buger bushings, stiffer motor mounts, strut towers/ anti sway, lowering kit, a couple other perf. mods , sleeper

Comment

I sold a cherry 88 5.7 IROC not too long ago for $3,900. It only had 89K on it.

I would recommend a 3rd gen IROC, personally. They are getting harder to find in stock, well maintained form but are available. The 5.7 L engine was only available with an automatic trans. The 5.0 could be had with a 5 speed, but it was a weak 5 speed, IMHO.

Comment

Get what ever you want. I deal with ALOT of traffic and would not want to sit in traffic with a 6sp. But then again there is NOTHING like rowing threw the gears of a 6sp V8.
        97 SS #C007
        Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
        SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

traffic to me is 4 cars behind a Tractor or cars stopping to let deer across the road.....

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaf8388
            traffic to me is 4 cars behind a Tractor or cars stopping to let deer across the road.....

That's hilarious. In that case I(me) would get a manual. I love shiftin gears but its your call not mine.
            97 SS #C007
            SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

I agree, third gen f-bodys are cheap, plentiful and fun. If you go with a manual, you cannot get a factory 5.7L engine. The 5.7 came with automatics only. You can get a 5.0 H.O. with a manual tranny though. I sold my 88 Formula 350 to 16 year old kid last year for 3000. It was nice. Now its not. Dont do that to your car.

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

im thinking my mom is gonna say that i cant have one because of the speed but ive already decided to tell her she can take my license away for six months if i get pulled over for going over 15 miles over speed limit....dotn you think thats a good bargain

Comment

It's a good bargin but gonna be really hard to keep up your end
                  5L Camaros are dime a dozen and can be made fast relatively cheap. Have fun and happy huntin.
                  97 SS #C007

Comment

Hello there Nathan. it just all depends on what you plan on using the car for. If you want to drag race it I would go for a auto but a stick is alot more funtop have.And you can find a good f-body for under 3000. but of course it will need some repairs.

Comment

well i can hold my bargain up because there is a drag strip about 45 mins or so away form my house that you can race on for $11 so i will be ok... until someone comes up besides me on the highway in a little rice burner and i need to show them real power then i will be tempted oh yeah im buying a radar/laser detector so itll be helpfull

Comment

Just looked around for a second and looky what I found. 68,000 miles and I bet you could have it for 4 grand. 5.0 5speed. It is a darker color and has what appears to be GTA rims on it.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1651

Comment

4G's is a bit much for the LO3. If you look at thirdgens, ignore anything but a TPI. In the long run you'll be happy you did.

Comment

I had my 88 Formula 350 since I was 17 (or 18). As I mentioned, just sold it a year ago. I was not a reckless driver, but the police see you coming. It's unfortunate, but you fit a profile, so even if you are reasonable behind the wheel, your gonna get pulled over in a car like that. I am still, seven years later, feeling the repercussions of driving that car and getting tickets. You have to be extra careful - drive like your grandma would, seriously. Speed on the track! Just from experience - take it or leave it.
                            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

My first car was an automatic that I converted after a few years to a stick. The next was an automatic which I drove for 2 years. The next was a stick I drove for 15 years. Now I'm in an auto for 2 1/2 years and I want a stick again. To give credit where credit is due, as for automatics, the electronics control of the automatic I am in now is the best I have ever driven. I hate the way the old hydraulic ones shift to soon under normal driving. Yea you can put a shift kit in them to fix that but then they shift to hard for normal driving. This is the best of both worlds. But I'd give it up in a heart beat again for a stick. It's all personal preference. If I had to drive in heavy traffic all the time, I would get an automatic. If not, there is no question about it. Stick it or die. LOL

Oh and you can always roll start a stick.
                              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                              X