Oil leak from front of engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak from front of engine

Hey everyone. I've got a question on an oil leak on my '96 Formula. The oil leak started one day out of the blue, and it appeared to be coming from the front of the engine. I never did find out exactly where it was coming from. It was bad enough that I needed to carry oil with me, or stop at a gas station to buy oil by the quart (about a quart a week). It was my daily driver at the time, and I just didn't have time to T/S it at the time.
    Anyway, one day at the gas station, early in the morning (dark), while adding a quart of oil, I ended up dropping the oil fill cap, and of course it hung up deep in the engine bay. I couldn't see it, and I had no flashlight, so I just drove to work. And of course, it fell out on the way to work. Just my luck. BUT, after that, not another drop of oil leaked from the engine again! I drove it like that for about another 6 months before I ended up parking the car, and never dug deeper. I got the car out of storage and I'm working on the car again, and did replace the PCV valve and hose to the valve (it was melted with a hole in it). I found it because it was causing a noise with the engine running and the hood up.
    Finally, my question: could a faulty PCV system pressurize the engine enough to cause an oil leak, or am I in for another oil leak when I get a replacement oil cap? Also, exactly what gasket could be leaking oil from the front of the engine? Crankshaft seal? Front oil pan seal? Anything else?
    Thanks.

Ryan
    '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

i would not drive it without the oil filler cap, dust and dirt can get in the oil
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Well, I got a new cap from the dealer in town (after they ordered the wrong one - their computer shows two different caps for the 5.7 ??).
      Anyway, it's installed, and after a little driving, no signs of any oil leaks - let's hope that lasts!

I just got done reading about how the whole PCV system works on this car (Thanks Fred!!). I'm guessing that my car has been compensating for a while since the PCV valve was open to the atmosphere (unmetered air into the intake?). Is there any way I can "reset" the long term correction, or do I just have to drive it for a while? And what's "a while" for that matter ?
      '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Comment

From what I understand, if you disconnect your negative battery cable for at least 15 minutes, it should reset all of your correction tables.
        Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

Pulling the PCM fuse might do the same thing as well??????
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Location of the oil leak --maybe

timing cover / opti area? That's where my current leak is. I can see it clear as day now with the nice shiny new water pump just recently replaced... grr. If it isn't oily wet just below your water pump and around your opti then perhaps your front crank seal.. another item I just did recently.

Good luck,

DJ
            95 Formula LT1 6 Spd

Comment

Working...
            X