header burns threw plugwire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header burns threw plugwire

need help asap im drivin to kentucky fri! ok next time i want to modify or work on my car kick me in the nuts and have a profesional do it. i was checking my header bolts as a few backed out earlier and was just checkin them and noticed some flashing under the driver side header. it looks like the header burned threw the wire which could help explain why its been running like crap. now im no mechanic ( but i do know the difference between brake fluid and oil ) but how should i go about this. can i just change one wire or do i have to change all( only have about 8k on plugs and wires). is it a easy job or a PITA? also how do i go about rerouting them with out takin the header off? can it be done? Im an idiot i know.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

i know some of you are shakin your head and saying idiot. i know cause i am

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current

Comment

When was the last time the wires were replaced? If they have over 50K miles on them, they all should be replaced. When you replace them, dress them better around the headers, and put "fire sleeves" on the areas where they run too close to the headers. That will keep them from burning through.

Going to an "over the valve cover" approach helps with some header designs.

If the wires are fairly new, and there is no evidence of many others sparking, replacing one wire, with an identical wire, is no problem.

In any case, its a bit of dogwork to change them. Removing the alternator generally makes it easier but without knowing anything about the headers, and whether any of the wires were replace previously its hard to give you step by step instructions.

Did you see the sparking in the dark? If not, pop the hood in the dark and take a look for sparks. You may find that the problem is more widespread than you thought.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

yeah it was around dusk and i could just see the spark. what temp should the sleeve be rated to? iv seen 1100 and 1200 degrees. I eventually want to go over the valve cover but kinda need a quick fix as i dont have much time through work and leavin fri. ill take a look today during break to see if it was just that one wire on that side. i was gonna replace that one wire and put some of theose sleeves on all the wires i can get too that mite be near the header and try to ziptie them up as a quick fix(never good with a LT1)

current

Comment

Taylor makes short, braided fiberglass sleeves, that I think they call "Fire Sleeves". I used them years ago when I was running a set of the Taylor 409 (10.4mm) wires and JBA headers.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

When you route the new wire with the firesleeve, make sure the sleeve does not rest on the header, or even touch it. It will burn through, regardless of sleeve. I have had 1200* Taylors and #5 on SLP headers is bad - as soon as it touches, it seems to stick and eventually melt and burn up the wire - even with coated headers. I'm now using thermo-tec shields on the wires, then a regular fire sleeve on the inside of the thermo-tech shield. Also "wired" it close to the block so it has a 1/16 to 1/8 gap from the header, and haven't had a problem since.
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

what do you wire it too?

current

Comment

I wired it to a bolt area for the motor mounts under the #3 primary. It was a pain to get to, even with a Spohn k-member. I would be surprised if it's still wired well, but so far, it hasn't burned this plug wire yet, after 4 months. Previously, I went through 4 wires in less than a year.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                X