Stripped thermostat housing hole threads on W/P

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped thermostat housing hole threads on W/P

I seem to have stripped the driver-side t-stat bolt-hole on the water pump. Anything out there for a quick fix (if such a thing as a "quick" fix exists on these cars) . The water pump is relatively new, and i want to get more miles out of it before replacing it again. Any products available at Kragen/O'Reily/Autozone etct?

Should i just squeeze some JB or liquid steel into the hole, let it dry, then crank'm down? That is the plan if i don't get any replies by 2pm. I got a date tomorrow morning and i would be damn shamed to ask her to pick me up
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

No big deal. Three options:
    1) Tap it oversized and put a new bolt.
    2) Helicoil it.
    3) Fill it with epoxy, retap with same sized bolt.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Thanks for the speedy response Al. Would JB Weld suffice? I don;t have anything advertised as high heat epoxy...
      -Ryan-

Comment

Originally posted by RAF7789
        Thanks for the speedy response Al. Would JB Weld suffice? I don;t have anything advertised as high heat epoxy...
        No, that's not a good option. Tapping it is a perm. solution and will be easier and less messy than filling it with JB weld. What do you do when you need to take it off in the future? It will never come off.

Drill and tap is easy as pie. Just find somebody with a kit or see if you can rent one if you don't want to spend any money.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
          Just find somebody with a kit or see if you can rent one if you don't want to spend any money.
          AutoZone will "loan" you a tap and die plus you can probably find the bolt needed there as well.
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

To clarify, when I said use epoxy and retap, I did not mean epoxy the bolt in the hole (LOL)

I work for a marine company. I know my mechanics have used an epoxy (aluminum based, I think) to fill holes. Then the drill and tap. The epoxy is strong enough to form threads. Not sure what brand it is. And, it's only good for bolts that don't require a lot of torque.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

i ended up just buying an 8mm tap and drilled out for a new hole/threads. used an 8mm bolt and it worked out just fine. Thank you everyone for the suggestions
              -Ryan-

Comment

Working...
              X