Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure gauge problem

Hey guys,

On my road trip to Maryland this weekend I noticed that my oil pressure gauge would erratically jump around. It would read fine and then all of a sudden have a strange tick to it, and then the needle eventually jumped to the max reading (past the 80 mark) and just got stuck there. It seems to be an intermittent problem...Works fine and then all of a sudden goes crazy. I changed my oil right before this happened (don't think this has anything to do with it just wanted to cover all bases). Also, the oil pressure sensor was replaced about 4,000 miles ago, so i'm thinking its just the gauge. I really am not looking forward to ripping the dash apart if it needs to be replaced. Any ideas? Thanks for any help in advance!
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

An increase in oil pressure with the sudden development of a strange "tick" would tell me that there is a blockage in one of the oil passages causing oil starvation to whatever is further along the oil passage.

Not a good thing...........

It may be a good idea to get a mechanical oil pressure reading by tapping in at the oil pressure sending unit. That way you eliminate the potential of a bad sending unit. I still don't like the ticking sound, for that see my above statement.

Comment

Joe, thank you very much for your response. I think you may have misunderstood my wording though. As in "tick", I didn't mean a tick in the motor. I meant the needle on the gauge kind of shakes erratically back and forth (sorry for my bad choice of wording). The motor seems to be running fine...its just the gauge goes crazy for no reason.....

UPDATE:

I just inspected the oil pressure sensor and wiring more carefully, and as I gently pulled on the wire, it snapped off right at the connector....I guess the wire somehow corroded. What is the best way to fix this? Should i just buy a new connector end and solder it to the old existing wire? Also, should I not drive the car until this gets fixed? Thanks a lot guys!
      1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
      Mods:
      "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
      Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Crane 1.5rrs
      Comp high tech pushrods
      Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
      SLP Loudmouth II
      SLP Cold air intake
      PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
      UMI adjustable panhard
      UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Comment

Just get a replacement connector and solder/shrink tube the connection. I wouldn't drive it without some type of oil pressure warning.

Comment

Working...
        X