Camaro Storage ?'s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro Storage ?'s

I'm considering renting a storage unit to put my car in while I'm in Kuwait for 6 months. What all should I consider doing to make sure my car runs as good as it does now when I come back.

Obviously I'll take the battery out. I don't have experience with fuel stabilizer and it will be in there through the summer months. Will I need to remove the wheels? Or will they be good to sit that long?
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

I'm not sure about the fuel stuff but I know from experience that the tires will have a flat spot on them and take a while to work it's way out. Mine were Bridgestone RE930 Z rated 245-50-16s. Actually I never drove the car enough to get the flat spots back out of them. I would advise putting it on jack stands.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Me too. I'm leaving next Sunday.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        I'm not sure about the fuel stuff but I know from experience that the tires will have a flat spot on them and take a while to work it's way out. Mine were Bridgestone RE930 Z rated 245-50-16s. Actually I never drove the car enough to get the flat spots back out of them. I would advise putting it on jack stands.
        radial tires dont "flat spot". bias ply's do. thats an old "thing" from the past. what may have happend is your tire pressure dropped..which it will unless you add air monthly.... and the casing flex caused the tires to become unbalanced.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Well, I hate to disagree with the tire expert but yes they do. The tire is a 6 ply tire and 2 of the plays are rayon. I jacked the car and spun the tire and you could see it. I would still suggest putting it on stands. Take it or leave it.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

I followed a thread on a local F-Body board where a similar question came up. Some mentioned that they use junker wheels and tires to store the car to avoid getting a flat spot (I know the tire experts here disagree ).

They also mentioned running the tank almost empty, adding the fuel stabilizer and then filling up the car again. Some storage units insist that you only have a very small amount of fuel in the tank when you store it. They didn't come and check though when I put mine in.

As far as putting it on jack stands. There were concerns about letting the suspension and so on just hanging down. How would you guys go best about to put it on stands?

Last winter I had my Vette in storage for 5 months. I took the battery out and just had it sitting there covered up with a cloth cover. In spring I bought a new battery, installed it and started the car without any problems. Never even went to check on i the whole time.

Make sure that the unit doesn't leak otherwise you would need a whether proof cover should you want to use one.

Find a unit that's supervised / guarded possible closed at night times. Like I said no problems where I stored my Vette, the people who owned the place lived right on the premises.

Now since September I have my T/A in storage in a different place. During the Summer and early fall the place is usually open 24 hours with no supervision. No towards winter they usually close the gate. Guess what on Saturday the guy who was supposed to close the gate had an emergency and didn't do so. Some idiot went in there and started cutting locks incl. the one to my unit with the T/A in it. He tried to pop the lock and pry the door open without success. Now I need new locks, a new window and paint repair. Haven's seen it yet but that's what my wife said.

They usually make you sign a contact so that they are not liable no matter what happens. So choose you place wisely.
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Put some towels in your exhaust pipe
              and put a towel over them and tie
              it with some string to keep the mice out.

Also put alot of DCON or something similiar
              around..so the rats will die ..
              traps would help too.

Don't want them eating your electrical wires.

Comment

Thanks all! Good call on the rodent prevention. I probably wouldn't have thought of it until I got back and got a wiff of the smell....mmmm roasted mouse.

I may just mount some cheep discount tires on my extra set of wheels. I don't like the idea of the suspension hanging free or supported by mounting points that aren't tires.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

LOL I had visions of firing it up and a mouse coming out of the pipe like a morter. LOL I never would have thought about that.

Comment

A couple of years back I worked in a plant in WV. A guy drove up with his car and somebody noticed something moving in the tail light. The light had a hole in it. So they turned the lights off and looked into the hole with a flash light and a little mouse looked at them. I guess it thought to have found a good spot to spend the night.
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                    X