Muffler suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler suggestions?

My muffler, I guess, needs replacing. Exhaust only comes out of one tailpipe. So i was wondering which mufflers you guys recommend that isn't expensive. I like it loud at idle and wot. I have no cats and stock tailpipes.

cc 304 Cam, BBK Headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Eagle Crank, 1.6 Rocker Arms, Zoom Racing clutch, Pulley, Computer upgrade, Hurst short throw shifter,KNN filter

Originally posted by 97WS6-Bird
    My muffler, I guess, needs replacing. Exhaust only comes out of one tailpipe.
    What do you mean only exhaust comes out?

Also, Do you have the stock cat back or its an aftermarket system?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

SLP Loudmouth
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I can't tell you who to go with, but I will say that myself, along with many others, have had their magnaflow tips break at the weld where it bolts to the car, and you're stuck with a dragging muffler. If they did a better job of helping me and backing up their "million mile" claim I could recommend them, because it does sound pretty good, but they were no help and 2 years later I'm still driving with a clamp I got from murrays. Keep this in mind if you are considering a magnaflow.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
          What do you mean only exhaust comes out?

Also, Do you have the stock cat back or its an aftermarket system?
          There are two tailpipes coming out of the muffler. The exhaust gasses come out of only one of them. Nothing cmoes out of the other one, indicating it is blocked. That would be my guess at what he said..... seems pretty clear.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yes the air/sound only comes out of the driver side tailpipe. I want the SLP loudmouth but I would have to change out all sorts of piping right? There is only one inlet and one outlet on the SLP. I'd like to make a quick swap. Does anyone know if the Hooker mufflers would be something I want?

cc 304 Cam, BBK Headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Eagle Crank, 1.6 Rocker Arms, Zoom Racing clutch, Pulley, Computer upgrade, Hurst short throw shifter,KNN filter

Comment

hookers

i am currently running a hooker aero chamber direct fit muffler.i have a highflo cat and single 3 " back too muffler. it is quiet at idle and has plenty of throat at wot. you might like a louder at idle muffler, i just decided i was tired of attracting too much attention at the street lights.
              good luck with your decision!
              dragin
              1994 formula trans am LT-1,ED WRIGHT tuned PCM, urathaned rear lca's,new factory rear springs,rear replacement shocks,functional ram air 4 inch cowl hood,hiflo cat,3 inch single into hooker hiflo muffler,2.5 out dual,air foil,underdrive pullys,edelbrock torque arm,drag bags,6T MSD,MSD coil,new built A4,2200conv.massive trans cooler

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                I can't tell you who to go with, but I will say that myself, along with many others, have had their magnaflow tips break at the weld where it bolts to the car, and you're stuck with a dragging muffler. If they did a better job of helping me and backing up their "million mile" claim I could recommend them, because it does sound pretty good, but they were no help and 2 years later I'm still driving with a clamp I got from murrays. Keep this in mind if you are considering a magnaflow.
                I have had a similar problem with my magnaflow mufflers. One of mine cracked along the weld around the outlet tube. I mean all the way around. I re-welded it myself but it still should not have happened.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

How much power would I lose if I just cut the muffler off and let it be real loud? Or do I have to have that back pressure since I have headers?

Comment

How much power would I lose if I just cut the muffler off and let it be real loud? Or do I have to have that back pressure since I have headers?
                    Run a muffler. You will not want your car to be that loud.
                    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

You do not need "backpressure"..... its a myth. Most people gain 10-15HP with a cutout = 0 backpressure. Many of us have run open headers (not a good idea if you are running O2 sensors in the collectors) with no loss of HP.

Back in the days of carburetors, removing the muffler caused problems, because it improved the engine's breathing so much that it leaned it out too much. Didn't "need" backpressure... needed more fuel. Required new jets in the carb. A modern EFI system is capable of adjusting to the increased air flow, and providing more fuel in response.

But, IMHO an open exhaust on a street car sounds horrible from the outside. Everything inside the car will start to vibrate, and you can damage your hearing.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Why not get this one here?

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22623
                        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I cut my muffler off and love the way my car sounds. Albeit I have a 99 ls1 z28. I have have pipes in place of where my cats were and am still running the stock pipeing. My exhaust is cut off about 6 inches in front of the rear axle.

It's got a nice rumble at idle and screams at WOT!

Comment

I have the same exact same car you have-lol. Im running a flow master thunder series. Its not super loud at idle, but opened up it is. I like the sound it makes. You would need two reducers so you can use your stock tail pipes. ill snap you a pic of my set up if needed.

now pic, and a before pic
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I will cut the muffler off and see if I like it.If not I'll get a Flowmaster thunder. Question...Do I need a piece of pipe that turns the exhaust down for safety reasons or is this a myth. By the way this is not a daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X