Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure Sensor Problem.....AGAIN

Hi guys,

So I have read through alot of the posts that deal with the oil pressure gauges/sensors and such. But of them seemed to address my problem.

Here is my background:

I have a rear main seal oil leak, had this for like 5 years but it costs too much to fix and I was a poor college kid. So I always stayed on top of my oil.

Last year, while driving in Atlanta traffic, my oil pressure gauge went way down and I pulled over and say oil spewing out of my oil pressure sensor. So i bough a new one and replaced it. I went back to school for my last year and had no problems although the gauge in the dash would dance around alot when driving / shifting gears.

Today about a year later I was driving, after driving in Atlanta traffic for a month, and I noticed the pressure way low AGAIN and was like [edited]. So I pulled over and saw the oil pressure sensor spewing oil again. I topped the oil off with spare oil that I keep in the car and went to advanced and replaced the sensor.
    Driving home I see that the pressure gauge is not in the middle where it should be, it is at like a quarter but it is not dancing around.

QUESTION:

Why does my oil pressure sensor keep spewing oil out of the front of it where the clip, clips in?
    And, why is my gauge sitting at like 60 instead of right in the middle at 90?

I think the car is fine now but I just want to know why this keeps happening.

I drive:

99 Firebird 3.8L
    I use 10W-30 Oil. Cheap stuff b/c I dont wanna keep buying expensive oil.

Thanks alot guys for reading my predicament.

I would appreciate any input.

MODERATOR COMMENT:

Do not test the language filter. If there's one thing that is going to get you in trouble here faster than anything else, its using the F-word. Please respect the rules.

99 Firebird
    3.8L
    5spd

Mine typically sits at about 60 PSI when operating, maybe just below during a hot idle situation. In fact, the service manual claims oil pressure at 1850 should be 60 PSI.

If you're expecting 90 PSI all the time, that's a bit high. When cold, mine probably runs 75-80. Once it warms up, it sits pretty close to 60 all the time. Maybe a bad oil pressure control?
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
    1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

I think he may have a gauge marked in metric units.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I gotcha. That would make sense.
        1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
        2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
        1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Thank my bad fella's, I said that wrong.

It usually did sit at 60, but it is now sitting at 30 or in between 30-60.

I was wrong when I said it was sitting at 90psi.
          Sorry.

Also does anyone have a clue as of why my oil pressure sensor has had to be replaced twice in a year, because of oil spewing out of it?

Thanks again

99 Firebird
          3.8L
          5spd

Comment

are you using different weight oil...?
            have you been beating on it while its cold?
            -Alex
            1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
            ZO6 wheels (clones)
            LED exterior and interior lighting
            With questionable guts:
            Forged bottom end
            free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
            pacesetter longtubes
            T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
            Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
            K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
            96? ws6 hood
            96? ws6 spoiler
            full emissions delete
            polished heads with oversize valve job
            Edelbrock IAS shocks
            Full tubular Chassis minus k member
            Daily Driver and love it that way
            Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

No I have used the same Oil since I have had the car: Castrol 10w30.

I dont beat on the car at all, one b/c I am scared that my engine will blow up if I get on it. I just drive it carefully now until I can afford a new car.

I had to replace an expansion plug below the motor over Christmas because my engine was shutting down on its own.

99 Firebird
              3.8L
              5spd

Comment

Working...
              X