Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

95 Trans Am turns but won't start. (Usually)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Trans Am turns but won't start. (Usually)

If my 95 Trans Am sits for a week I can probably get it to start up but can't keep it running without keeping my foot on the pedal. If it dies, it will only turn after that but not start. Unless I wait a few days.

Anyone have some suggestions to what this might be?

I've deactivated the alarm system. (about a year ago, so I know it's not the key).
    I just added some treatment to the gas. Before this started I was running the car about once a week. The full tank of gas in there is fresh.

I'm thinking coils and planing to do fuel line check.

Any other suggestions/experiences are welcome.

Scan it for codes.

Check the fuel pressure.

Check for spark by pulling a plug wire and holding it near the block.

Possibly a faulty coolant temp sensor in the water pump housing.

How did you "deactivate the alarm system"? Factory alarm or after market alarm? Or do you mean the PASS key system?

Is it possible mice have been gnawing at your engine harness?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Injuneer. I did a couple of the things you mentioned and here is what I got back.

I checked for codes and got nothing back. I.E. everything checked out OK.

I checked the fuel pressure and got a 22lbs reading.

I haven't checked and don't know how to check for a faulty coolant temp sensor in the water pump housing.
      As for the deactivating the alarm system, it was the factory alarm. I remeber that we went up under the steering column to deactivate it. I'm pretty sure it was the alarm and not the PASS key system. It's been a few years.

Is it possible mice have been gnawing at your engine harness? That is a definite possiblity.

If the 22 on the fuel line sounds right, I'm still thinking of checking the fuel filter but wondering if the problem is lack of spark which would make me think the plugs or wires. Thoughts?

Thank you so much for responding. No one else seems to have any clue about why this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Wastedyrs

I checked the fuel pressure and got a 22lbs reading.

Should be 40-44 lbs minimum. First thing is replace the filter and retest both pressure and Volume.

Comment

Thanks Joe!

I will start with the fuel filter.

Comment

What did you use to scan your 95, with its OBD-I PCM and OBD-II style ALDL connector?
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X