rear end length

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end length

well i am shopping for what rear end i want 2 put in my car. i am looking for accurate information on the length of my 4th generation (disk mount surface too disk mount surface) and then the same on a 3rd generation. i was told here that the 3rd was considerably shorter drum mount 2 drum mount or disk too disk mount. so i kinda need the figures on both if possible
    thanks for your time.
    dragin
    1994 formula trans am LT-1,ED WRIGHT tuned PCM, urathaned rear lca's,new factory rear springs,rear replacement shocks,functional ram air 4 inch cowl hood,hiflo cat,3 inch single into hooker hiflo muffler,2.5 out dual,air foil,underdrive pullys,edelbrock torque arm,drag bags,6T MSD,MSD coil,new built A4,2200conv.massive trans cooler

Strange Engineering has the dimensions of the 3rd and 4th Gen F-Body rear axle assemblies on their website. The "print" is a bit fuzzy to read, since they just seem to make copies of a copy when they update their website.

I have an old copy of the print, and it shows the dimensions from the outside faces of the axle wheel mounting flanges:

4th Gen: 64.72"

3rd Gen: 61.72"

I've heard people claim the 3rd Gen rear is 2" narrower per side, but the Strange chart shows the difference as 1.5" narrower per side. The wheel dimensions would appear to confirm the 1.5" difference per side, since the 3rd Gen rear wheels have 1.54" less backspace than the 4th Gen rear wheels.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/077.html
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks again

longer than i thought but now i have a start point, thank you much!
      1994 formula trans am LT-1,ED WRIGHT tuned PCM, urathaned rear lca's,new factory rear springs,rear replacement shocks,functional ram air 4 inch cowl hood,hiflo cat,3 inch single into hooker hiflo muffler,2.5 out dual,air foil,underdrive pullys,edelbrock torque arm,drag bags,6T MSD,MSD coil,new built A4,2200conv.massive trans cooler

Comment

Working...
      X