1997 RAM AIR Shuts down, no code detected, few min starts back up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 RAM AIR Shuts down, no code detected, few min starts back up

Maintenance/repairs: I have a 97 RAM AIM, replaced the fuel pump, OPTI SPARK, wires, and plugs less that 10000 miles ago. The car will cold crank most of the time and will IDLE for a long time. I was getting a p1371, the car would shut off due to fuel cut off. I then changed the wiring harness to the OPTI p1371 code is no longer present.

Problem: The car will crank and even Idle for a long time as soon as I drive it down the road and hit it, the car shuts off like a light switch. The car will not immediately start back but a few mins (I assume when it either it cools or the PCM resets) the car will fire back up. I drove it back easy and it still died a few times but would crank back much sooner then when it died from running it hard. I am very baffled because the PCM is not producing any error codes. Once I replaced the wiring harness the p1371 has went away. I thought it was fixed.

My thoughts: Coil, Ignition Control Module then lastly but more likely the OPTI has gone out again. Please help me figure out the problem.

PS the above parts came from a local auto parts store, Advanced I think

Ok gents, I am replying to my own posting because I fixed the problem and wanted to document this thread with facts so that future user, with the same problem, will have directional guidance to resolve the problem:

In my thread, I stated that the OPTI was replaced recently so I was determined to replace it only if necessary. It seems my car had multiple problems. First, when I replaced the wiring harness from the OPTI, the 1371 code went away so that was one fix. Now, the shutting off issue: my curiosity was killing me and I wanted to know the root of the problem so I bought a Coil and the Ignition Control Module. Since it was easy to take them off, I only replaced one at a time. Unfortunately, because of my curiosity and needing to know what was causing the malfunction, I had to do the work twice. Since the Coil was the cheapest part, I replace it and used the existing ICM. (Also, when you remove the factory Coil, you will need a drill to drill out the rivets holding it to the bracket). The car was still having trouble but it was running better at low RPM, I then replaced the ICM now the car feels strong no skips, no cutting off. When I accelerate, I can feel the power and firing order radiate through my foot and into my body. Man I love horse power!

Now, my lesson learned and advice to others. With the firing system and factor life expectancy of the parts used, if I had it to do all over again, I would have changed everything out with the OPTI. So my advice is if you are having issues similar to the one I described, grab some beer, Copenhagen, and a buddy, spend 700 - 800 bucks and buy the OPTI, ICM, Coil, wires, and plugs and make a day of repairing you hot rod. The head ache cost me much more that 700.00 to try and isolate a single failure when it seemed to be mulitiple intermitten issues.

hope this helps someone out

oh one last thing, here is the link for a replacement Opti spark harness: 35 bucks
    http://www.optisparkharness.com/opti...s/default.aspx

Comment

Yep.... same thing happened to mine. Only after a while it began popping the fuse.

Comment

Working...
      X