Oil lifter repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil lifter repair

I was having problems with the car knocking badly on startup, lasting for a minute or two and then going away. Took it in and was told the lifters failed because of a leaking intake gasket. So they replaced the gaskets and lifters.

Picked it up about an hour ago, and on the drive home I noticed the oil pressure gauge was fine when I was driving on the highway, but as soon as I slowed the pressure dropped to about 30. Before I started having this problem, the gauge was always dead center at 60, no problems. I'm thinking after a repair like this, the oil pressure gauge should not still be jumping around. Correct?

It's a V-6 Camaro, 2001, just turned 96,000 miles.

2001 Camaro V6, stock

The spec oil pressure at OT for our 3800s is 60 PSI @ 1850 RPM. That is when the oil is fully warmed up. As you probably know one variable your oil pressure is dependent on, besides temperature, is the engine speed, as the oil pump is turned by the engine. Getting the oil warm takes longer than you might think. A trip on the highway is a good way to get your oil temp up to OT. So if you've just gotten off the highway to a stop with the engine at low speed, it is perfectly normal for the pressure to drop to around 30-35 PSI while at idle.

Your Camaro looks a lot like my friend's, except I can tell you take better care of yours. It's in the picture to the right in my signature. Also a 2001 V6.
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

My 96 usually drops to around 30 at idle when hot as well. Generally sits about 60 at cruise regardless. A little higher pressure when it's cold yet.

The fact we get to have a gauge for oil pressure is nice. It's always a little disconcerting when it drops so low at idle, but that's normal. I've heard that in general the rule is 10 psi per 1000 RPM's of engine speed.
      1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
      2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
      1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

it should be fine, id be worried when it gets below 15 at idle...

as long as its up in the higher rpm range and you dont hear that "oh crap I spun a main bearing" sound you should be good.
        -Alex
        1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
        ZO6 wheels (clones)
        LED exterior and interior lighting
        With questionable guts:
        Forged bottom end
        free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
        pacesetter longtubes
        T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
        Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
        K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
        96? ws6 hood
        96? ws6 spoiler
        full emissions delete
        polished heads with oversize valve job
        Edelbrock IAS shocks
        Full tubular Chassis minus k member
        Daily Driver and love it that way
        Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyerPoot
          I was having problems with the car knocking badly on startup, lasting for a minute or two and then going away. Took it in and was told the lifters failed because of a leaking intake gasket. So they replaced the gaskets and lifters.

Picked it up about an hour ago, and on the drive home I noticed the oil pressure gauge was fine when I was driving on the highway, but as soon as I slowed the pressure dropped to about 30. Before I started having this problem, the gauge was always dead center at 60, no problems. I'm thinking after a repair like this, the oil pressure gauge should not still be jumping around. Correct?

It's a V-6 Camaro, 2001, just turned 96,000 miles.
          I have the same type of noise, but it doesn't last any where longer than 10 seconds while the oil goes up. I've been told it is ok. My oil pressure is constantly at 60 while driving, but goes down to 30-35 when at idle. My 2000 Camaro is also a V6 about to hit 93,000 miles. How much did it cost to replace all those parts?
          1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
          2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Off topic but, where in Pinellas Park are you FlyerPoot? I live near 66th and Ulmerton, technically Pinellas Park but the Post Office says Largo.
            Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Does the V-6 have the same oil pickup from the sump as the V-8? When I did some work on mine, and put it back together, I was having oil pressure issues at low RPM's- turned out that the gasket, a little O-ring in the pick-up tube had taken a set and hardened, and needed to be replaced- nobody warned me beforehand, had to take the timeing gears off again for a $5 part- :^(
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Working...
              X