Moly or Cast Rings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moly or Cast Rings?

I have an old SBC that is maxed out at 0.60” over. It has about 70,000 miles since it was rebuilt. Several thousand miles ago, I tore down the motor and did a quick hone and ran the motor with no apparent blow-by problems. (On cold mornings, it does sound like a diesel! Piston slap?) I can’t remember what type of rings I used.

For other reasons, I have torn down the motor again and I’m going to try to do a hone one more time. I have no idea what the actual taper is. There is very slight ridge I can feel, with the sides of the cylinders being a little less, so I know there is an out-of-round condition. I can still see a lot of the original cross hatch on the walls, but the pattern is irregular and somewhat patchy.

Since this is not the correct way to be resurfacing the cylinders, I was wondering what would be the best ring to use that could tolerate the irregular wear.

Thanks!

Originally posted by 69-er
    I have an old SBC that is maxed out at 0.60” over. It has about 70,000 miles since it was rebuilt. Several thousand miles ago, I tore down the motor and did a quick hone and ran the motor with no apparent blow-by problems. (On cold mornings, it does sound like a diesel! Piston slap?) I can’t remember what type of rings I used.

For other reasons, I have torn down the motor again and I’m going to try to do a hone one more time. I have no idea what the actual taper is. There is very slight ridge I can feel, with the sides of the cylinders being a little less, so I know there is an out-of-round condition. I can still see a lot of the original cross hatch on the walls, but the pattern is irregular and somewhat patchy.

Since this is not the correct way to be resurfacing the cylinders, I was wondering what would be the best ring to use that could tolerate the irregular wear.

Thanks!
    Yikes. I'm not sure I would bother. at .060 over you already know it's at it's end of life. The fact that you're seeing irregular wear on a .060 over block could mean the pistons are done, it could mean there is some core shift in the block, so many things. I'm probably not helping the situation, but I see nothing but problems on the horizon.

Comment

go to the junkyard, get a virgin 350 block and bore to 30 over and use moly rings
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
      X