'96 Forumula Differential Rebuild?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 Forumula Differential Rebuild?

I *think* my limited slip differential clutches are worn out, as my car will not always spin both tires. So, while I determine for sure:

Is it possible to rebuild/replace the clutch packs in these differentials? If so, where can I get parts? I have searched the internet, and made many phone calls, but nobody can supply a build kit.
    '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

I may be speaking out of turn here but...

If you have an Auburn differential unit (which I believe is what normally came from the factory) the answer is no.

I found this out recently when I had some work done on my rear end.

Your option then is to purchase a new unit. The question would be, should you get another Auburn unit or go with different more expensive one, like Eaton, that I believe can be rebuilt.
    WS6Store.com sells both. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...th=236_262_486
    I got lucky and found a slightly used Auburn unit locally and swapped that into mine.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

The Auburns only came in the Firehawk and Camaro SS models. The rest had GM.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Hmmm....
        I had and still do have have an auburn unit in my Z28. Unless it was replaced in the 1st 15K miles (before I owned the car) it came that way from the factory.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

IIRC the Torsen was SLP installed...at least during the LT1 years..
          95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

WOW, I really wasn't looking to spend that much on an otherwise good unit. The gears are good, no noise, it's just that it seems loose when it comes to keeping both tires spinning.

Is there any way for me to tell what type of unit I have without taking the back cover off?
            '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Comment

If you want to do an upgrade let me know.. I have an set of 3.42's with a 3 series carrier I bought as a take off in 1997 from SLP that is sitting in my basement. These only had 2-3 miles on them when they were removed when SLP upgraded the cars. I've tried to sell it a few times now that I sold my Formula, but I've never had a chance..
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Working...
              X