Adding a Steering Wheel with Audio Controls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Steering Wheel with Audio Controls

I did a search, but didn't find what I was looking for so here goes. Is it possible to get a steering wheel with audio controls to work with one that didn't have them? Do I need additional wiring or are all cars pre-wired for them? My original wheel is sun damaged, and I can only find some that have the audio controls. If they can't be connected I guess it would be nice to have the leather steering wheel.
    1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
    2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

if it doesnt cost much more you could get the complete steering column at a junkyard, and the wiring from the under the dash to the radio, i think its only one wire, then get a key cut for the new steering column with the same resistor as the one in your key, or change the lock.
    I dont know whether v6 s have steering wheel controls prewired.
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Unfortunately, it's only for the steering wheel. Is the air bag the same for both steering wheels? Thanks again!
      2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

I do have the Monsoon System, so I assume the Head Unit has a place to plug into on the back, the steering wheel has a plug for a 4 prong connector. I guess I need to check the back of the radio and see if anything is connected in a 4 prong connector. Maybe its pre-wired because of the Monsoon System. I guess I'll check it out this weekend.

Comment

They sound nice, in theory, but it is very easy to inadvertently hit the buttons while driving, muting your radio or tuning to another station. I have them, but really don't use them much-
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Love the feature in my Silverado and catch myself trying to do the same thing on my Camaro, but there's nothing there. I have a "parts guy" contact at the dealer which told me I would need a new SIR coil that has the connector for the controls and a new wiring harness to the radio. He wasn't sure if I would need to get the BCM flashed. Does anyone know if the BCM has anything to do with the controls? Thanks again!

Comment

Looks like it's going to be a simple add-on since my Camaro is Pre-Wired for both the steering buttons and a 12 disc cd changer in the trunk. The only part I need to order is the SIR Coil which has the connector to the steering wheel buttons. The other connector is above the diagnostic port which goes to the radio and fuses. So if anyone wants to add these buttons and has a Monsoon system, your car may be pre-wired for them like mine. A future add-on will be the cd changer itself.

Comment

Working...
              X