Mobil 1 Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobil 1 Question

I picked up some Mobil 1 5W30 the other night, upon getting home It says it's for "hard working trucks, & SUV's".

Is this a difference in packaging, as I noted I went back & there was no plain vanilla 5W30 in the 5 qt jugs, but some of the weights had 'extended life' or "for high milage vehicles" noted.

Is this just a marketing ploy or are there different strains now?

No, you got the Truck and SUV line. That is not the same as the traditional Mobil 1 that you usually run.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

If it's full synthetic I wouldn't worry about it.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Run it 3,000 miles, then dump it in your beater or lawnmowers.

Comment

I read the specs at Mobil's website, there are more strains of this oil than I can count! LOL. It has a special additive for 'severe service' why not put this 'special' additive in all the 5W30 oil, after all it's the same price?

Would 'severe service' qualify a car to use this oil? my cars are seldom taken out on the highway not driven much (about 1-5k/yr if that) & have longer intervals between changes.

Might take me a couple years to put that 3K on it!

Mobil 1 5W30 Truck & SUV

Mobil 1 General FAQ

Comment

Just an FYI...

I put less than 1,000 miles per year on my car. I contacted Mobil and spoke to an engineer to determine when I should change it.

According to him, Mobil 1 is designed to be stable up to one year. After that, the "additive package" begins to fail. One of the big issues is pH. After a year, the oil becomes acidic (according to the "engineer" I spoke to). Hence, his recommendation to drain and replace after one year.

He did say their Mobil 1 extended use can be left for in 18 months, but in his opinion, the added cost per quart did not justify it's use. Since most of us replace our own, labor charges are not an issue. However, if you are paying to have it done, you can benefit from the extended use stuff.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I use Mobil 1 but drive my Camaro only about 600 to 1000 miles per year.

The oil still looks clean, but I change it at inspection sticker time, once a year.

Comment

Working...
              X