NFB- 02 Z24 help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB- 02 Z24 help

i need to know the capacity and where to check the tranny fluid level on a 2002 Cavalier Z24 2.4L twin cam and the manual 5spd. over night the car has decided that it wants to grind 5th gear and only 5th gear, no matter how you try to shift into it, the clutch fluid is full and the clutch doesnt slip, its just 5th gear, be it at a stand still or driving down the road. only way it wont grind is if you shift painfully slow or when stoped, put it in another gear. im hoping its something stupid cuz i really dont want to tear down this tranny
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Originally posted by Trash man
    i need to know the capacity and where to check the tranny fluid level on a 2002 Cavalier Z24 2.4L twin cam and the manual 5spd. over night the car has decided that it wants to grind 5th gear and only 5th gear, no matter how you try to shift into it, the clutch fluid is full and the clutch doesnt slip, its just 5th gear, be it at a stand still or driving down the road. only way it wont grind is if you shift painfully slow or when stoped, put it in another gear. im hoping its something stupid cuz i really dont want to tear down this tranny
    IMHO, I think you're dealing with a bad syncro and it's not fluid level related. i hope I'm wrong. Look for a pipe plug in the side of the transmission, that is your fill plug. The fluid should be topped off to where it just starts to drip out of the fill hole, then screw in the plug.

Comment

joe - its got a tranny fill plug on top of the transmission not on the side and i just doubled checked and cant find where there is a dip stick per say. and im not sure if its suppose to be filled to the top of the fill or not.

a syncro going bad over night though?

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
        joe - its got a tranny fill plug on top of the transmission not on the side and i just doubled checked and cant find where there is a dip stick per say. and im not sure if its suppose to be filled to the top of the fill or not.

a syncro going bad over night though?
        Anything can happen. many times they work right up to the point that don't. There won't be a dipstick.......

Comment

yea i just found what looks like a plug where u check but the fill at the top has me all confused, i hate FWD cars haha

my neighboor works at a GM dealership, he looked into it and said that on certain trannys a nut comes loose that holds the OD gear in place and might cause what i have now. but hes not sure if i have that tranny or not. im gonna rip the side cover off tomorrow after work and see what i got, i may get lucky and can fix it without having to remove the thing from the car

Comment

You're most likely going to be filling that trans until you can poke your little finger in and feel the fluid just at the bottom of the opening, I would go with what Joe said, your primary concern with those symptoms should be a bad syncro. what happened before 5th started givin you trouble?
            -Alex
            1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
            ZO6 wheels (clones)
            LED exterior and interior lighting
            With questionable guts:
            Forged bottom end
            free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
            pacesetter longtubes
            T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
            Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
            K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
            96? ws6 hood
            96? ws6 spoiler
            full emissions delete
            polished heads with oversize valve job
            Edelbrock IAS shocks
            Full tubular Chassis minus k member
            Daily Driver and love it that way
            Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

absolutly nothing, its like my focus all over again, i junked my focus becuz i turned off the engine, put gas in it, started it back up and it dropped a valve into the piston

Comment

that sucks sorry to hear that.....
                Best quote ever can be applied here: I'd rather push a chevy than drive a ford.

Check your shift linkage, it might be just tight enough for you to get comfortably into 1-4, but then when that shifter goes into the third column all the ay over, it might be off just enough to where the gears barely even mesh up. That fits the problem.
                -Alex
                1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                ZO6 wheels (clones)
                LED exterior and interior lighting
                With questionable guts:
                Forged bottom end
                free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                pacesetter longtubes
                T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                96? ws6 hood
                96? ws6 spoiler
                full emissions delete
                polished heads with oversize valve job
                Edelbrock IAS shocks
                Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                Daily Driver and love it that way
                Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

shift linkage is all good, and from what i read these trannys, 1-2 share a fork, 3-4, and 5-R, so if it was the linkage reverse should be grinding, i got a funny feeling tonight after work(yes its 4:30 in the morn, gotta be at work at 5) that im going to find out that im pulling this tranny out. really dont have the money for a new/rebuilt one

Comment

yep, gotta yank the transmission outta the car and rebuild it the one car i take car of(wash, wax, mobil oil every 3K) dont beat on at all and the tranny takes a dump.

i found the drain plug, its under the drivers side axel 2inchs from the frame and the plug on the backside is to check the level but u fill it from the top

Comment

Working...
                    X