ICM overheating fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICM overheating fix

I've been having misfire related issues involving the cursed Ignition Control Module on the driver side head. I'm tired of looking, and spacing it off the head by bringing it outside the stud nuts just doesn't shave enough heat.

Everyone has heard of the ICM/Coil spacing technique, I used a different method ALONG with that and achieved astounding temp reduction of 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit

The ICM and upper bracket must be removed.

Get a roll of fiberglass header wrap or similar, shoot for 2 inch wide weave.

Cut a 5.5 inch long section of the fiberglass and fold it into three equal divisions.

Using an aluminum based thermal compound(that's what I used at least), cover the entire bottom of the ICM module, don't use too much. It won't hurt, but it can get pretty messy and cure time might be an issue with certain compounds.

Place the ICM back onto the upper plate and apply some pressure to get the extra compound out.

This is the important part, take your folded up section of fiberglass and place it so the it lays parallel to the closest coil face on the surface of the lower plate as close to the coil as possible.

Thread the ICM retaining bolts as little as possible; just enough to retain the ICM in position.

Cut a 1 inch long piece of the fiberglass and shimmy it in between the upper and lower mounting plates on the far side from the coil, underneath the ICM position.

Tighten the retaining bolts to spec, then trim the excess fiberglass away with a utility knife. This is not a necessity, but it cleans the assembly up.

Check your work; the main goal here is to isolate the transfer of heat on the upper plate only between the upper plate and ICM while retaining the assembly as a whole, the lower plate SHOULD NOT be touching any thing but fiberglass and the coil.

Not sure if anyone has tried this or something similar before, but it pretty much eliminated my ICM instability after a heat-soak cycle. Hope this helps solve the giant LTX puzzle of electrical gremlins
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Along with the above, I have also found that in certain instances with higher underhood temperature the ICM bracket can be rotated 180 degrees for even less radiant heatsoak.
    -Alex
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    pacesetter longtubes
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Just be forewarned...like most electronics, if your ICM is that sensitive to temperature issues, there's more than likely something wrong with it.

There's a reason GM chose to mount it where it is...it's supposed to be stable at the temperatures it sees.

While you may have lowered the temperatures of yours and alleviated the misfire issues, I'm inclined to believe the ICM is suspect. Look at it this way...GM has used this design on 10's of thousands of vehicles. Yet, failures are not very common.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Of course you should always replace sensors or control units that are known to have failed you, but I figured this might help the longevity of the next one and be used as a temporary correction for the problem. Considering I did have all the materials jst laying around this worked out pretty well for me
        -Alex
        ZO6 wheels (clones)
        With questionable guts:
        Forged bottom end
        pacesetter longtubes
        K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
        96? ws6 hood