99 firebird 3.8l starting issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 firebird 3.8l starting issues

Hi all new member here. Familiar with the 3.8l series fwd platform as i own a 98 regal gsx and a 88 lesabre t-type 2 door coupe. new to the rwd platform.
    my gf's firebird is having issues starting. Im guessing its fuel related as in leaky injector or fuel pump check valve. it takes 4-5 times cranking for it to start and when it does it smells aweful like gas, once its started it runs fine and has plenty of power. Im guessing the fuel pressure is dropping off after its shut off. She's away at college in Topeka so i'm talking her through priming the pump a few times and then starting it. When she does this it starts the first time. You all have more knowledge on the rwd fbody platform then me so i'll let you guys tell me what you think is wrong. I did some forum searches to come up with the check valve idea and possibly cutting a access panel in her trunk.
    new plugs and wires within the last 6 months and had fuel sending unit fixed so her gas gauge works now. this is all i know that has been done as her father usually takes it in. I plan on testing pressure if i take off work tomorrow to go down and fix it.

Thanks.

You need to use a fuel pressure gauge, Check pressure and volume with the key on, while running, and check the pressure drop off when the engine is shut off. If you don't have a gauge, Autozone offers "free" rental of most tools. You have to pay a deposit that gets refunded when you return it.

Comment

Yea i forgot to say i could take the fuel pressure gauge off my fuel logs on my regal im sure it'd work. but i will just buy one for testing purposes in the future. seems most are 20-40$ is all

Comment

Tested fuel pressure is fine. 42 psi at idle. Now the problem i believe is the fuel pressure regulator. I pulled off the vacuum line and gas came out...I dont believe this is suppose to happen. Also gas came outa the same vac line that i pulled off this sensor with allen head bolts that go into the intake manifold on the opposite side of the FPR, (dunno name of this sensor)

Comment

Let me see if I can get this right without having to go out to the garage to look at it. Opposite of the fuel pressure regulator, mounted into the intake would be the MAP sensor. Can't remember, but I think the MAP hose routed to the FPR for vacuum.
          1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
          2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
          1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Working...
          X