Fuel Pump Issue? Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Issue? Help!

Hey all, looking for some help here. My LT1 formula was running really low on gas today and had JUST begun to chug (for about 10 seconds) before I pulled into a gas station and filled it up. It started fine and ran a little rough then died. Started with big issues then died again after that it wouldn't start. I imagined the fuel pump lost its prime and burn out, also the three fuel lines that come through the body on the drivers side under the hood felt empty also making me think it was the fuel pump. If you agree with my diagnosis my next question was what would be a good aftermarket upgrade for a good price? I hope to be running a supercharger (about 6-8lbs) within the next year so I might as well upgrade it now. Ive found OEM replacements for $300 that don't indicate what LPH they run at and some aftermarket 255 LPH pumps on e-bay for like $90. Thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Links to sites with quality parts/good deals? Thanks a lot guys!
    -Mike

My sources say stock spec is 195-205 lph.

Not sure how to troubleshoot the problem though, mate.

-Do you dear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to "on"?
    -Check the fuel pump fuse (worth a shot)
    -Relay?

-Someone help out: is it possible the fuse was tripped when the f-pump was running nearly dry?

Sorry i couldn't be more help bro.

Best of luck to ya
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

When you turn the key, do you hear the pump prime?
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Check the filter.
        Could have picked up some junk off of the bottom of the tank.
        If it is not flowing properly or is plugged, no fuel.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

You troubleshoot it with a fuel pressure gauge. You can't just guess that the lines are empty. You have to verify that you have the correct fuel pressure under all operating conditions.

You check the fuse and relay by using the under hood fuel pump prime connector to supply 12V directly to the pump. Shoebox has a photo of the connector on his website.

Do not buy a cheap eBay pump, unless you know someone that can vouch for the quality. Most people opt for the Walbro 255 LPH pumps, but even those seem to have a high failure rate. Check Racetronix. They sell the Walbro with the specific parts required for a 4th Gen F-Body install, and options for upgraded wiring kits.

I've had excellent results with dual Bosch 205 LPH pumps, running at 58psi.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

For some reason letting it sit a few days fixed it? starts and runs great, must have just needed time to prime pump...Thanks anyway everybody!!

Comment

Originally posted by HossLT1
              For some reason letting it sit a few days fixed it? starts and runs great, must have just needed time to prime pump...Thanks anyway everybody!!
              Bet it dies again. Sometimes a bad pump will get a few minutes of life after sitting for a while. My first one did that.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I have an extra used stock pump, it does work to the best of my knowledge, I'll give it to you real cheap, PM me if you need it.
                -Alex
                1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                ZO6 wheels (clones)
                LED exterior and interior lighting
                With questionable guts:
                Forged bottom end
                free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                pacesetter longtubes
                T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                96? ws6 hood