Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Did the LS1 come with a magnetic oil plug stock? I've read that some of the V's and vettes did. My bolt is stripped pretty bad so I need to replace it. If it was magnetic and I just didn't pull it off, I am going to feel like a pretty big moron.

Also, is anyone else using one of these magnetic plugs?

2002 Firehawk Sold

It should be a magnetic one. Mine is...

Im confused on your question thoug... by "magnetic" they mean that there is a magnetic tip on the other end of the drain plug (to catch small metallic bits). It's still threaded like a bolt though.
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Ohhh...I thought by magnetic that it is just a strong magnet that holds the bolt in place so I can just pull it off during an oil change.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

No its still threaded. I dont think the stock one is magnetic. I have a '95 Formula and my stock one was not but have replaced it that a mag. one. Any auto store should have one. Autozone, Autovalue etc. Just get the right thread of coarse. It should thread it ok. Hopfully the threads on your pan are not messed up.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

i was wondering if people who have magnetic oil drain plugs ever find anything stuck to it? i mean is it normal to be any metal shavings on it , like normal wear and tear?
          93 t/a A4 3.23s
          95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
          99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
          99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
          97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
          93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
          00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

You should never see shavings. There may be a fine, powdery substance that will build up over time, but not visible metal shavings.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
              You should never see shavings. There may be a fine, powdery substance that will build up over time, but not visible metal shavings.
              ^Exactly, maybe just a drop or two of what looks like mud.
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

If you're seeing shavings I would imagine your oil pressure at any given temperature will be lower than it was before. Shavings usually forecast bearing failure, mains, cam, piston pin etc.
                -Alex
                1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                ZO6 wheels (clones)
                LED exterior and interior lighting
                With questionable guts:
                Forged bottom end
                free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                pacesetter longtubes
                T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                96? ws6 hood