99 bird v6 any tech tips to offer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 bird v6 any tech tips to offer?

1999 firebird w/v6 that still runs like a dream but i am loking for some performance tips to give it a little more pep.

Start with the traditional hot rodding methods of freeing up the exhaust and intake. A K&N air filter and cold air intake combined with a lower restriction cat back exhaust will give you a little more pep and tone. next step would be a lower temperature thermostat and custom computer program to take advantage of all the other modifications. Bypassing the water lines running to the throttle body adds some torque as well.

Comment

Have done a few of those things

I have removed the silencer box on the intake and piped direct to the intake.
      I will be adding 160 degree thermostat tonite. Can you explain how to bypass the water lines to the intake and why it helps? Is the cat a bolt on on the firebird and would it cause problems if i gutted it?

Comment

I'd be curious to know as well how to bypass the throttle body coolant lines. The thermostat is mounted right behind the throttle body in the intake and the coolant passage seems to flow straight down from there into the water pump.

I got a nice boost in mid-range torque just converting from the stock intake to to a smooth tube with a less restrictive filter. With the Y87 exhaust, it breathes quite well. The Y87 package also gave my car a shorter rear axle ratio, 3.42 vs. 3.23, so pep is pretty good.

I'd like to figure out a way to ram air it a little to a cold-air intake box but haven't had time.
        1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
        2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
        1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

the same

I intend to build my own intake system as well maybe when i am done i can upload some pics....it wont be that hard and i am going to copy one that according to these posts works well.

Comment

Originally posted by 3800_Firebird
            I'd be curious to know as well how to bypass the throttle body coolant lines. The thermostat is mounted right behind the throttle body in the intake and the coolant passage seems to flow straight down from there into the water pump..
            Unless I'm mistaken, there should be two coolant lines plumbed into the throttle body. Can you snap a pic of yours?

Comment

what about the cat question?

Comment

Originally posted by 99ws6wannabe
                what about the cat question?
                Don't mess with the cat, the monolithic design flows pretty well. Removing it will make the exhaust stink, the sound gets raspy and the car is no longer smog legal. If you sell the car, dealerships don't want the car with emissions equipment disconnected / gone and your value is substantially less. If you're concerned about ultimate HP, have a cutout welded in place just ahead of the cat, you can unbolt the plate at the track whenever the mood strikes.

Comment

This car will never see the track,just a daily driver that i am toying with.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    Unless I'm mistaken, there should be two coolant lines plumbed into the throttle body. Can you snap a pic of yours?
                    I'll try to get a good shot of the front of the engine when the light gets better.

Comment

I looked at mine last night while installing 160 degree thermostat and i didnt see the coolant lines in question.99 bird 3800II

Comment

If these are no coolant lines, the factory has already done away with it. Ignore the cooland bypass mod.

Comment

Will relocating the IAT help at all...like to a fresh air enviroment or even lenghtening the wires and bringing it in the car.?

Comment

How do i tell if i have the y87 package? Where do i look and exactly what should it say?

Comment

Originally posted by 99ws6wannabe
                              How do i tell if i have the y87 package? Where do i look and exactly what should it say?
                              Driver side door, there should be a sticker with a load of 3 character codes, if you see Y87 among them, your car has the Y87 package.

On my '96, the Y87 included disc brakes all the way around (no drums on rear), same faster steering ratio as the V8 cars, limited slip rear differential with a shorter, 3.42 gear ratio, and a larger exhaust system with twin pipes out the rear. Essentially, it makes a Firebird/Camaro a V6 car with most everything the Formula or Camaro Z28 would have, except of course the V8.

On your '99, the only thing different is that 4-wheel disc brakes were standard on all models anyway (since '98), so the Y87 doesn't really include that.

Comment

Working...
                              X