Bad Brake squeal after replacing pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Brake squeal after replacing pads

Yet another silly question from the rookie lol!!

I replaced my brake pads about a month and a half ago. Not to long after the replacement I developed a bad squeal when stepping on the brakes, it is one of those long squeals also, it lasts untill I stop. So yeah, not cool sounding when I roll up lol.

I noticed if I roll into my stop faster and use more pressure on the brakes it seems to go away.

Just wondering what I did wrong? Or what is going on? Any ideas? Thanks for the help once again guys, I really appreciate it!
    TRANSBOY 4-LIFE
    1999 Trans Am
    SLP Box/Loudmouth

The squeal is due to the pads vibrating against the caliper. The factory uses anti squeal composit gaskets that go on the back of the pad. If you didn't reuse the originals, you can purchase an inti-squeal compound that you apply to the backside of the brake pads. So..... time to disassemble again.

Comment

also take the pads to the wire wheel and round off the edges sometimes that can cause a squeal, also did u replace the rotors? or turn them?
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

What type of pad? Some people think they need a 'competition' pad for hard driving, that may not begin to work well until they get heated up a bit- some of the harder metallic pads can squeal quite a bit, and not much to do about it-

Did you bed the pads in? Heat cycle them a few times?

Have a look here, at lots of useful info about brakes:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml
        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I had the same problem when I did mine. I bought some anti-squeal compound and applied it to the back of the brakes and they stopped.
          1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
          2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Working...
          X