Confused! TCS System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused! TCS System

So I am driving and the roads are a little wet so I am goofing of a little and spinning the tires of my 99 Bird 3800II when i make a corner and accelerate(or so I thought) when the motor does nothing. By nothing i mean it would not accelerate. It did not die just wouldnt go...no sputtering,spitting,coughing at all just no rev. It was if the gas pedal wasnt connected to the motor. The SES light and the Low Traction light came on. This low trac light struck me as wierd to be on at this moment so i flip the tcs switch to off and waaaallaaa the motor is back?!! Just to confirm that was the problem I turned the tcs back on and the problem was back so i drove home with tcs off and no problem. This morning i start the car and the SES light is still on and the TCS was on B/C it defaults to the on position upon restarting. To see what would happen i left it on and proceed to go to work. The car never showed the problem during a 15 minute ride to work even though the TCS was on?

I don't know how the TCS on 'Birds work but on the Grand Am I have, it works by cutting engine power via ignition cutting and/or applying the brakes. I can only imagine the Firebird is similar. As far as the SES light staying on, it should disable the TCS if it is the same method as my GA.

The TCS is computer controlled. As soon as the SES, or in the GA's case Check Engine, is signaled, the pre-programmed tables are used. TCS disabled.

Get the SES condition checked and report back, please.
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
    1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Yes, on the powertrain end, the computer doesn't CUT the ignition, but retards the timing for a designated period of time during and slightly after a slip is picked up. Retarded timing from a low traction signal from a bad vss will cause some really annoying issues if the traction system is enabled.
      -Alex
      1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
      ZO6 wheels (clones)
      LED exterior and interior lighting
      With questionable guts:
      Forged bottom end
      free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
      pacesetter longtubes
      T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
      Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
      K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
      96? ws6 hood
      96? ws6 spoiler
      full emissions delete
      polished heads with oversize valve job
      Edelbrock IAS shocks
      Full tubular Chassis minus k member
      Daily Driver and love it that way
      Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

The SES is gone and the TCS doesnt malfunction at the moment. I think this will be one of those annoying intermittent problems

Comment

SES back on gonna get it read today

Comment

was gonna get the codes read but the light went off. Now this morning it shut down on me but as with the last time a flip of the switch TCS off and everything goes back to normal........somebody help me !? I am lost

Comment

Get the codes pulled anyways, they'll be stored in memory.
              -Alex
              1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
              ZO6 wheels (clones)
              LED exterior and interior lighting
              With questionable guts:
              Forged bottom end
              free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
              pacesetter longtubes
              T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
              Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
              K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
              96? ws6 hood
              96? ws6 spoiler
              full emissions delete
              polished heads with oversize valve job
              Edelbrock IAS shocks
              Full tubular Chassis minus k member
              Daily Driver and love it that way
              Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Will do on my lunch hour today and post the results thanks

Comment

no power to my diagnostic port,wont power the code reader?

Comment

Ignition switch in on position engine not running?
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The cigarette lighter fuse also sends power to the port.new fuse and codes read...p1404 egr code gonna take it off today and clean and inspect. Still confused about the tcs though i dont think the egr could have anything to do with traction control.

Comment

It does in the sense of if something sets the ses light the computer goes into bare minimum mode to keep running so it turns off the traction control. It also turns on the fans.

Likely what is wrong is the EGR valve and the tube has enough carbon deposits that it is restricting the air flow enough that the computer sees it as a problem. Clean the valve. If you take off the valve and there is carbon in the tube, get some carbon remover spray and a circular wire brush you can hook up to a drill to clean out the tube.
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Will do jeff thanks for the help. I will let you know what i find. Hey on a different note are there any free tuning programs out there that i could put on my laptop?

Comment

Working...
                          X