what are my options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are my options

My bird is currently out of service due to a botched waterpump install and I've been considering rebuilding or replacing the whole engine. The current motor has 150k and hasn't been maintained well, unfortunatly due to not having a garage, knowlage or proper equipment I'll have to pay a mechanic, is it a feasable investment?

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

Investment? LOL heck no. If you want to do it for your own pleasure and enjoyment, that is up to you. Cars are very rarely ever a good "investment".

Something else to consider is buying a crate engine then hiring a mechanic to put it in.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I know that cars aren't a good investment, I like the car and have had it for years I know it would be hard letting her go. I was more so trying to figure out cost wise if I'd be better off rebuilding or replacing the motor cost wise. Anybody know where I can find an LT1 crate?

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
      2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Golan has LT1 engines at reasonable rates (starting at $3k). Your best bet...buy a used, but well maintained engine. You can probably get a 383 with low miles for less than $3K.

Another option - fix the waterpump and sell the car. Personally, if I were faced with the choice, I'd sell the Lt1 car and get a 98 - 00 LS1 car. You'll probably spend less than what it will cost to buy a new/used engine and have it installed. I see low (less than 50K) mileage LS1's for sale all the time.

Look at it this way, you might have to spend $4k more for a new car than what you'll get selling yours. However, you'll have a car that's at least 4 years newer, low miles, and at least 50 hp more. If you look hard, you can probably get one with lots of aftermarket parts, as modifications don't really translate into a higher asking price.

The key is getting your current car working again.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Thats kinda what I was thinking. For some reason after we installed the pump it takes for ever to start and run's like crap when it does making a weird winding noise At the same time my 04' Silverado was acting up I ditched that thing for a mazda6 it wasn't sounding very good gm gave me a lemon

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
          2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

You're describing classic Optispark problems. Because the waterpump is directly above the Opti, when it fails, it leaks all over (and into) the Opti.

One of the reasons GM ditched the front mount distributor on the LSx motors.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I saw a guy on another forum that was selling a fully rebuilt LT1 with upgraded internals, valve train and cam for $2700.00. Looks very clean. Zero miles on the motor. PM if you want info.
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                I saw a guy on another forum that was selling a fully rebuilt LT1 with upgraded internals, valve train and cam for $2700.00. Looks very clean. Zero miles on the motor. PM if you want info.
                Kinda interested although right now I've got other things to take care of and cash is tight, probly wont get around to the bird until spring. I'm still debating the whole thing, having it towed to a junkyard would be such a waste. Currently its parked at my brothers house w/plates and insurance although it undrivable I have so many memories w/ that car there its priceless to me I even dedicated the Rush song "red barchetta" to it, I used to crank it up while we were out cruising together and sing to her

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

as long as you maintain it well the bottom end will hold up for only so long... the more mods you introduce the more strain on a high mileage engine. you have the funds for a new crate engine and labor? otherwise run with what you have until all fails

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan02z
                    otherwise run with what you have until all fails
                    And keep saving up the money towards mods/improvements. A project car starts somewhere. As long as you have an alternate daily drive, why not take the plates and insurance off for now while save up some dough towards restoration?
                    1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
                    2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
                    1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Working...
                    X