Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97 Firebird 3.8 tensioner pulley mounted to housing with broke water inlet - JB weld?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Firebird 3.8 tensioner pulley mounted to housing with broke water inlet - JB weld?

I bought a 97 firebird with a 3800 (3.8) because I neeeeded a cheap car... some of the engine was dismantled because someone was going to attempt to change head gaskets, but when they removed the housing that the tensioner pulley is attached to, they broke off the end of the inlet leaving the end with the O-ring in the block or whatever. Anyways, since this is aluminum, could I just jB Weld it until I find a junk yard with a cheap replacement part???? I have used it on other stuff, not a great big fan of it, but know it works. I can use it on the inside of the inlet pipe, and a little on the outside, but will it hold or should I just save my money for the the part?

ahh i'd have to say that would be a poor choice, I love JB weld, use on everything, but in this case the structure would remain entirely dependent on the jb weld. Replace the part, or don't be surprised if it doesn't hold for long.
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

I think you are talking of the 90* elbow, made of plastic, that goes from the housing to the front of the engine. I'd just replace that elbow and o-rings. I did my tensioner assembly not long ago and it's best just to replace that brittle plastic rather than try to patch it. Wouldn't want that to burst as you're going down the road. It would be messy and probably overheat the engine.
      1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
      2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
      1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

It is aluminum, it is a 90 degree elbow, looks like maybe a heater hose goes on at the top end. It busted off in a way that it fits back together nice, but I think I think I will have to attempt to patch it just to get to the junk yard to get the replacement part. It think it is on the passenger side of the housing, and looks very expensive to replace. When it broke, that is problably when the repair stopped for the last guy. I just do not know if JB will hold up to the heat and pressure - it worked on a hotwater heater for me before, and a thermostat housing one time when I was on a road trip.

Comment

The last tensioner assembly I got was around $80-90, includes an elbow for the driver's side of the assembly into the block. The passenger's side has two hoses (send/return) for the heater core. It's up to you, but I'd replace it entirely. 3800 tensioners do not hold up, and you must get the assembly to replace it anyways. I'd do it, rather than have a bad part in a critical area.

Comment

I will replace the part, but problably with a used piece. I only paid 300 for the whole car. I was able to get a Felpro headgasket kit + bolts for under 100. I only bought the car because the trans and transfer case is shot in my Jeep, which is 1200 in "rebuilt" parts. I am a single parent of a tween girl, and do not have 80-90 more to dump into this car. After this repair, I will have a decent Firebird with T-tops and cold AC, but I am just trying to figure out if JB weld would last at least 50 mile for a round trip to the junk yard where I can get that part for $20,,,, We recently moved to Florida and there is no-one that I know that would take me there and wait while I pull the part. So, that piece is sold in the parts stores?

Comment

I'd say the JB ought to hold that long, as long as you apply it well. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X