Check Engine Soon code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Engine Soon code

I'm getting the "check engine soon" light on the dash.

Car is 2002 Camaro SS with 37,000 miles.

Can anybody guess what the problem is? It runs perfectly.

I may have missed something in the servicing. At any rate, I'll run it by a parts house and get them to read the code.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Originally posted by ReBop

Can anybody guess what the problem is? .
    The flux capacitor has a centrifugal short.

No idea if the car is running fine...... until you get the code scanned. Then we could make a really good guess. post it here once you run by Autozone and get a free scan.

Comment

P0410

Troubleshooting P0410
      Domestic brand

Secondary air injection system fault

Probable causes:

Circuit relay defective or open fuse
      Connector and wiring
      Air pump defective or hoses blocked

Comment

I think I answered this for you on CamaroZ28.com.

PCM cycled the AIR pump, and didn't see the air show up in the exhaust as a lean condition = no flow. Check the ckeck valve for being stuck closed, check for a melter hose due to check valve leakage. Maybe a leak in the vacuum activation system if the EGR valve is vacuum operated, or a broken diaphragm in the EGR valve.

No flow can be caused by a faulty pump circuit or faulty relay, but either of those codes will set a code.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Right. It can be a number of things in the air pump system, from fuses to valves, sensors, hoses and the pump itself.

I'll have to trouble shoot it.

Thanks.

Comment

that code and what Fred said refers specifically to an electrical fault, remember to keep it easy
            -Alex
            1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
            ZO6 wheels (clones)
            LED exterior and interior lighting
            With questionable guts:
            Forged bottom end
            free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
            pacesetter longtubes
            T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
            Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
            K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
            96? ws6 hood
            96? ws6 spoiler
            full emissions delete
            polished heads with oversize valve job
            Edelbrock IAS shocks
            Full tubular Chassis minus k member
            Daily Driver and love it that way
            Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

No....does not refer to an electrical fault, does not refer to a solenoid (no solenoid code), does not refer to a pump circuit (no pump circuit code). It says when the pump is turned on, there is no added air being detected in the exhaust.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Right. That code is telling you that the system, in general is malfuncioning. It's up to the mechanic to trouble shoot all the individual components.

Dealers makes a killing on generalized sensor fault readings. Car companies designed this stuff to make it as elusive and expensive as possible.

I've heard that secondary air failure does not harm the vehicle. Hope that's true.

Comment

Originally posted by ReBop
                  Troubleshooting P0410
                  Domestic brand

Secondary air injection system fault

Probable causes:

Circuit relay defective or open fuse
                  Connector and wiring
                  Air pump defective or hoses blocked
                  I'm sorry misread wrong post, so then it picks up a false rich then off the O2's?
                  -Alex
                  1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                  ZO6 wheels (clones)
                  LED exterior and interior lighting
                  With questionable guts:
                  Forged bottom end
                  free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                  pacesetter longtubes
                  T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                  Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                  K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                  96? ws6 hood
                  96? ws6 spoiler
                  full emissions delete
                  polished heads with oversize valve job
                  Edelbrock IAS shocks
                  Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                  Daily Driver and love it that way
                  Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Read what I posted already. It turns on the AIR pump during normal operation of the engine (well past startup). Since the AIR pump adds air to the exhaust, the O2 sensors should indicate less than 222mV (LEAN), due to the excess air. Not RICH. If the O2 sensor on either side doesn't drop below 222mV, the code sets, because the system is not flowing air into the exhaust.

I'm also puzzled why you feel this is a "general" code. It means air is not flowing. But the fact that you do not have other codes related to the AIR system rules out some of the other possible problems. It isn't dead-on specific, but working this code, with lack of other codes, helps narrow it down.

I'm getting the impression that no one is actually reading what I am posting.
                    Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      The flux capacitor has a centrifugal short.

goood call, doc. then you can kick it up to 88mph.
                      -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                      2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Working...
                      X