Need help...LT1 rear caliper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help...LT1 rear caliper

I'm in the process of converting all four brakes. The front - C5 calipers.

The rear - rebuild the original calipers. I've managed to get all of the new seals and such back together. However, I'm stuck with the parking brake spring. How do I re-engage the tangs? I tried several different prying methods, using a large screwdriver to compress it, but after nearly impaling myself, I thought it was time to ask for help.

Is there a preferred method? i.e. on the car or off the car, lying on the ground, etc.

Because of the way the spring-tang is hooked, you can only engage one side first. My buddy thinks perhaps it would be easier if I removed the parking brake cable, but if I do, I doubt I can reattach it to the hooked arm.

I'm stuck...
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Would you lke me to copy whatever's in my Chiltons for you? It has the basic steps to reinstalling the components of the caliper, indicating when in the process you need to "install the parking brake lever return spring". Doesn't tell you how, but it tells you when, and has some assembly "blow up" diagrams.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred...but I managed to get it after all. I slept on it, and tried again after dinner. For anyone else looking for "how I did it", see below:

The big thing to do is make sure engage the lever (26) onto the pin (27) AFTER you slip the end of it through the hole for the brake cable. Once you do this, use a clamp (I used a vice grip pliers) to hold the lever tight against the caliper housing. Said another way, when you lift up on the parking brake handle, notice which way the lever moves. You want to hold the lever in the opposite position, as if the brake is off. This way, the spring (25) needs to be compressed the least amount to be realigned with the notch in the lever.

I used a large, straight blade screwdriver to push against the free end of the spring, until it popped into the slot on the lever. BE CAREFUL not to stab yourself, If the screwdriver slips, your hand will probably take the hit. I would highly recommend a good pair of leather gloves...just in case.

Also, the spring tang must be inserted in the slot BEFORE you try to compress it. Why? Because you'll realize that the spring must be rotated to slip the tang in the slot on the housing. (29)

So, I managed to get one side done, and did not stab myself in the hand (LOL). I did it with the caliper on the ground too. You might be able to re-engage the spring once the caliper is mounted, but to me it seemed like there would be less room to work.

Photo used courtesy of shbox.com
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
      X