First post and a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post and a question

Hi, Im Matt and Im new here. Ive been around these car for a while, mostly thirdgens but I also had a 69 camaro a few years back. Anyway, I have an opertunity to pick up a 81 Trans Am 305/4 speed. Its got 4 wheel disc, all the spoilers and shacker hood. It needs paint, sat in a driveway for many years, last registration expired in 94. The interior is absolutly mint, seats have been covered, they are soft and show no wear. It will need a dash pad and a rear package tray, thats it. Outside is rust free, top and bottom. The rear frame rails have no rust, no rust in the lower quarters or trunk floor. I pretty much went through this thing and only found a small spot on top of one fender. The doors close better than the ones on my 89 Iroc. Only body work it needs is a few door dings repaired and the whole car painted. Im a painter/body man so Ill be doing this myself. The odometer shows 95k miles which, for the condition of the car, Im assuming to be correct. Now heres the bad news, the car has no title and no keys. It is not stolen. Connecticut requires a title for anything 81 and newer so I would have to use a title company to obtain a title. Keys are no problem, I can change all the locks and ignition. I can get the car for 1000. Question is, is it worth the money? I dont know much about values on second gens. Im going to include a few pictures I took of it.

Hey Matt, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who have been very helpful to me and I'm certain can give you good advice on this 2nd gen. Does the car run? I'd assume the car would have mechanical issues that need to be addressed.

It looks to me like it has good potential, considering the condition of the body and interior. Anyway, there are plenty of people here with a lot of experience who will be glad to give input. I just thought i'd introduce myself.

- Matt
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

For $1000, it looks to be a car with potential. A repaint would be necessary and probably some mechanical work.
      1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
      2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
      1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Welcome... From the pictures, it looks pretty clean and not all smashed up. If you can get the title and don't mind some work, I think I'd gamble on it.

Good luck with it..
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

There used to be a big demand for those cars that was fueled by the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies- companies were buying them up and restoring them as the black and gold Bandit cars- and selling them for big dollars- Probably not a lot of stock ones in good shape left- certainly a collectible, sort of the end of the muscle car era- H.O. 305- sounds like a contradiction to me, but that was what was available, due to smog and insurance regulations.

I'd restore it all original, and keep it pretty. The value is sure to go up- Lots of old guys are pretty nostalgic about those old Firebirds-
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

From what my foggy memory pulls up, in that year you had a choice between a n/a 301 and the turbo 301, I believe only california got the 305. That's worth of a restoration, but before I would put a dime into the car I would make sure that I secured a clear title. That will ensure no suprises down the road as well as securing a higher resale when that time comes.

Look for rust in the truck floor. They are known for leaking around the tail lights and the water pools in the trunk. Also look for rust in the rear quarters around the wheel wells.

I also believe the ws6 option gave you the 4 wheel disc brakes.

Comment

thanks for the imput guys. I'm going to get it after work today. I'm pretty sure the n/a 301 was standard on the auto cars and the turbo 301 was an option and that stick cars had the 305. I didn't even think of all those cars year one bought up for those bandit conversions, good point

Comment

The Pontiac Red Book indicates:
                On the Trans Am , the standard engine was the 4.9L E/C V8. The Chevrolet 5.0L V8 was available as a delete option and only with the 4-speed manual. The 4.9L Turbo was optional.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

mat all you need is a bill of sale and the last registration i believe for cars older then 20 years
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X