Trans Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Question

I have a 94 Trans Am with an auto trans. I recently had it rebuilt. The only problem I have with it is when you try and pass someone the rpm's hit around 4500 rpm's before it will kick down. It shifts through all the gears with no problems if I get on it from a stop, or if I shift manually. I can't take the trans back to the guy who rebuilt it, as he lives to far away now that I moved. Any help would be wonderful. I was able to fix a few things myself from information here at this great site.

Do you mean it shifts out of overdrive and free revs to 4500 then downshifts to third or second? or are you saying it stays in the same gear to 4500 and then down shifts? Cause the second case doesn't make sense since you would be going way too fast by that time. So if it's the first case, then I'd say something is sticking in your valve body assuming your car is healthy and nothing has changed since before the rebuild. It is commanded by the PCM based on speed, gear, rpm, and throttle position, etc. Do you have a stock converter also?

Comment

[QUOTE=carsdon'tclimbtrees]I mean that if I'm in drive and I get on it, it won't kick down to second. It's like it free revs until it kicks down. It has an aftermarket converter that is around 1800 to 2400 rms. I put in a new tps, could that be a problem by any chance?
      Does the tps have to be adjusted? Thanks.Bought the car with 79,000 miles, I've had to replace these things within the last 30,000 miles. Alt, Starter, water pump, fuel injectors, wires, plugs, on my third opti, rebuild trans, lower control arms, inner and outer tie rod ends, ball joints, pads and rotors, ignition switch twice. I'm getting to really hate this car.

Comment

Yeah you should check that throttle position switch voltage because a lot of the tranny functions are based off it. Also it is in the programming where your downshift points are based off rpm and mph.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. How do you check the voltage and how do you adjust it, if anyone knows? If it's a sticking solenoid in the trans, does the trans have to be removed to fix it? Hate to pay big bucks to replace it. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
          X