Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bleed a 3.4 coolant system?

94 V6

I don't know how to. Looks like air could get trapped in the top of the thermostat housing. NO BLEEDER ON THE HOUSING.

Pulling the hose loose looks like it could be messy.

My Chilton's manual indicates that the bleed valve is near the EGR valve outlet pipe ("place rag under bleed valve to avoid getting coolant on the EGR valve outlet pipe"). I have never looked at a V6 that close, but that might point you to the correct area.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

No bleeders in this area by the EGR outlet tube.

Just the valve cover & plug wires. The cap at the bottom is for the A/C.

Comment

The 3800II has a bleed valve near the EGR system (driver's side). The 3.4L doesn't seem to have one according to the Haynes, which is the only manual I've got with the 3.4L Camaro/Firebird engine.
        1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
        2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
        1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Agreed, NO BLEEDERS.

Still to be answered:

How is the system bled?

Comment

Bleeding the system seems to be a problem pimarily with the "reverse flow" cooling system on the LT1 engine. I've never run into a conventional flow system that had a bleeder. The conventional system flows from low in the block, and rises to the heads. Air/bubbles will rise to the top and flow out the return line to the radiator. With reverse flow, the coolant flows to the heads first, then drops down through the block, leaving bubbles and air pockets at the top of the system.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

leave the cap off the radiator and fill it to just below the next and start the car up, when it warms up the thermostat will open and suck the coolant in, then just keep adding till the radiator is full then top off the overflow tank to the hot mark
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
              X