replacement vehicle ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement vehicle ideas

Ok, I know I have not been on here in awhile but i am now having to sell my Z28. I have twin daughters and need something with four doors and a big enough trunk to handle a large double stroller. Well i guess what i am getting at is what would you all recommend it needs to be farely inexpensive, reliable, and decent gas mileage, but since i am getting rid of the camaro i want something with a little pep and fun to drive.,. Any Ideas??
    Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

What's your budget?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I am really need to keep it under $20,000
      Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

Comment

blazer, explorers, get a nice used one for cheap, or if you must do a car, maybe a outback, i kno its not a "cool" car, but its got plenty of room
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Thanks for the info, Not too worried about being "cool". Thought about possibly even a compass/caliber- but just getting ideas seeing if there was anything I had not thought about

Comment

I've rented alot of cars in the past few years, one that sticks in my head was a Pontiac Grand Prix. It had decent power, decent handling, decent about everything...... really couldn't find anything wrong and the fuel mileage was quite reasonable. I think that if I were in the market for something that would seat 4 and was not a SUV or Truck, I would seriously consider one of those. Maybe even a newer G8.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              I've rented alot of cars in the past few years, one that sticks in my head was a Pontiac Grand Prix. It had decent power, decent handling, decent about everything...... really couldn't find anything wrong and the fuel mileage was quite reasonable. I think that if I were in the market for something that would seat 4 and was not a SUV or Truck, I would seriously consider one of those. Maybe even a newer G8.
              I 2nd this. I just picked up my 04 in July and have been more than happy with it. I do run it on PU and with the supercharger I get around 16mpg in town, heavy traffic driving.
              The SC doesn't do a whole lot from a stop but punch it at about 40 in traffic to pass and it will set you back in the seat. It also has a nice pull between about 95 and 120...or so I hear
              My DD
              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I'm biased because I have one, but I love my 03 Vibe GT. The new ones lost the hi-revving 1.8L motor (8,700 rpm redline, VVTiL...180 hp, 6M) but are still decent. I usually get about 30 mpg combined (mostly highway) and because of the 17" Z-rated tires and high hp - weight, the car is a blast to drive.

It can't keep up with my T/A in the twisties, but it's pretty quick considering. I especially enjoy the "kick in the pants" at 6,500 rpm, when most cars are hitting the rev limiter...this thing is just warming up.

As far as reliability goes...it's been solid as a rock. Other than basics (tires, filters, and brakes) I've done nothing. The car has 70K on her, and still runs like a top. The car is made by Toyota, while the engine is Toyota and Yamaha, similar to the SHO engines.

Take a look at a 03 if you can find one. They slowly lost hp until finally, the 1.8L motor was yanked. The 2010 look nice, but are not as much fun to drive. The GT is really the only way to go.

BTW - I have three kids. All three fit in the back seat. The hatch allows me to put large strollers and stuff with ease.
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I highly recommend looking into either a Nissan Altima or a Ford Fusion. Even the 2.5 Altima has some cajones behind it, but I would avoid the 4 cylinder Fusion. They're painfully slow. The V6 definitely moves, should have plenty of room for your girls and gear. Same with the Altima. That's what my girlfriend drives and there is plenty of room for all of her school and art supplies, gets good gas mileage, auto- stick (Fusion has this too), handles well, plenty of trunk room, great cars overall. I'd recommend checking them out. At the very least, it presents options.

Fusion safety and other info-

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sa...sion&trimid=-1

Altima safety/ etc

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sa...tima&trimid=-1

Also, I don't know much about the Volvo S60 in terms of reliability and what not, but I know it has Volvo's legendary crash resistance, plus the turbo model is fun, fun, fun!
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

volvos dont die, when i was a mechanic, we had a few customers with 250K on them.
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Take a look at the Cobalt SS 4 Door.

2001 SOM Camaro SS. 1SD options, Neutral leather, ASR, 6spd. H/C, exhaust/intake/suspension. Full list of mods here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...atasheetSS.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X