Bringin her back from the dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringin her back from the dead

I spoke to an engine builder today and I've got awesome news! Re manufactured LT1 installed for $3K. He's going to remove my old engine, swap the accessories over and drop the new one in for me. Comes with a 3 year warranty. He said it will take around 3 days. I feel like a 12 year old girl at a Jonas Brothers concert.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

That's great news.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
      I feel like a 12 year old girl at a Jonas Brothers concert.

You'll be back in the saddle in no time now!
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Sounds quite reasonable. Great to hear!

Comment

Cool, let us know how it goes.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Good for you. It's great to see a Bird kept on the road and not junked.
            Time to update your sig.
            Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
            2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Thanks guys!!! Dropped off the deposit today, the guy called the engine manufacturer and put it on speaker so I could hear the customer service rep confirm it was shipped (showing me that he wasn't ripping me off). The tow truck should be here very, very soon. I couldn't bear to sell it. I literally have a dream about going outside, getting in it, starting it up and driving it at least 3 times a week, sometimes more. In my dream the engine isn't seized and I feel like a schmuck for having let it sit there for so long when nothing was ever wrong with it. Then I wake up and want to put my fist through a wall, but that's all over! I really will be able to turn the key and start it up The car just feels right to me. Perseverance paid off!

I brought up the fact that the T56 is notchy and he showed me a service bulletin about the CAGS causing 1st- 4th to be notchy (the exact word that was used in the bulletin) and that there's some type of lever that can cure the issue. I'll have more info when I get home from work, but for now, I'm excited!!!
              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              SOLD- Good riddance!
              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

In reference to my previous comment

"Condition

you may recieve comments concerning a blockout/ notchy feel during a 1st to 4th gear 'computer aided gear select' (skip shift) maneuver in a Borg- Warner T56 6 speed manual transmission"

Cause

Computer aided gear select (skip shift) lever may be sensitive to dimensional stack- ups of transmission components..."

Never mind. It sounds like they're just talking about the CAGS preventing people from going through the gears. I have a skip shift eliminator somewhere. No need to spend $400 on something I can fix for free.
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Good luck with the transplant, sounds like you have a good deal going.

2001 SOM Camaro SS. 1SD options, Neutral leather, ASR, 6spd. H/C, exhaust/intake/suspension. Full list of mods here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...atasheetSS.jpg

Comment

Good news and bad news. The good news is-

The bad news is-

Figures, I finally get the ball rolling and I find rust. It's not just surface rust either. It's starting to get serious.
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Spanking new engine and install for 3k? what a deal! That sucks about the rust though, like you said, the ball is already rolling. Might as well spend that tax return money . Keep us posted!
                      -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                      2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Got her back today, but I'm already running into problems! When I drive it, it feels like I'm riding on Jeep- type tires. It vibrates pretty hard, plus it feels like there's a misfire. Something definitely doesn't feel right. I'm hoping he crossed spark plug wires or something small. Other than that, I don't remember this thing being so beastly! I guess it's because I've been in a Del Sol for so long, but I definitely don't remember it ever pulling like it does. I haven't gotten on it as I'm still breaking in the engine, but this thing moves! I have to bring it back to him on Thursday to replace my fan belt and oxygen sensor, so I'll have him fix whatever is wrong with it when he does that. So close. So friggin' close.
                        SOLD- Kinda miss it
                        SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

How long did it sit? How old are the tires?
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:
                          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

It sat for about a year and a half. The tires are in perfect shape. I don't think it's related to the tires or suspension, as it seems to run the worst at idle. It idles at about 900 RPM, but it dropped to about 500 RPM for a second or two when I was parking it. I have to bring it back to him on Thursday. I'll let him figure out what's wrong. It seems to handle better and have a stiffer steering feel than before. I'm not sure if that would be due to the panhard bar, but it certainly feels tighter. I needed brakes too, so the brakes are better than when I first bought it. It's just this damn stumbling/ misfire/ whatever it is. I'm drooling at the thought of driving this thing. It's incredible how a year and a half in a Honda can change your perspective on things. I'm having a hard time readjusting to the clutch. I could push my Honda's clutch to the floor with two fingers. I have to give the T/A some oomph.

Wish me luck!!!!
                            SOLD- Kinda miss it
                            SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Don't all 4th gen F-bodys have a tougher clutch? Mine is pretty firm but I like it.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X