Tps & solenoid question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tps & solenoid question

How do you adjust the tps and what should the the rpms be when your at idle with the trans in drive? My rpms are 500, I thought it should idle at around 700 to 800 rpms. Can it be adjusted? I have one last question, If I have a sticking solenoid in the trans, does the trans have to come out to fix it? Thanks every one for any input.

The TPS is not meant to be adjusted. Only in the case of an aftermarket TB should you need to do so (you have to alter the mounting holes to make them slotted). The computer looks at the TSP closed throttle voltage every time the ignition is turned on. If it is within .3v-.9v, then it sets that at 0% throttle for that drive cycle. TPS readings can be monitored with a scanner.

Manual transmission hot idle speed is ~800 and auto is ~550 in drive and 650 in park/neutral. You don't provide any car info for anyone answering to go on.

Idle is adjusted by reprogramming the computer.

Transmission solenoids can be reached after the pan is off.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I guess my first response would be - what is the year/model of the vehicle, what engine does it have, and what tranny does it have? All of those affect the answer to your question.

I know its hard to add a "signature" because of the software bugs, but it can be done and you should have taken the time to add one, so people can answer your questions without asking basic questions.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

What do I put in the signature, sorry I'm new at this. I have a 94 Trans Am with 5.7 liter engine. 4L60E trans with an 1800-2400 stall. Thanks

Comment

Look at Rob's 'signature' and at mine..... it's everything below the bottom solid line.

Year, model, engine, trans and any major mods. A picture is optional. Go to the "Quick Links" button on the blue task bar at the top of every page. Click on "Edit Signature". Fill in the blanks in the "Your Signature" field. What you type there will automatically be added at the bottom of every post.

As Rob noted, since you have an automatic trans, the stock idle programming is 550RPM in gear, and 650RPM in neutral. The stock tach typically reads 100-200 RPM higher than actual idle speed. If tou have an OBD-I scanner, with an adapter plug to attach to your 95's 16-pin scanner, you can read the actual engine RPM from the PCM.

Idle speed can only be correctly changed by reprogramming the table in the PCM. Idle speed varies with coolant temperaturem, idling higher on cold start, and gradually reducing to the numbers quoted above at normal operating temperature.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X